5

What do Arminians say is the source of free will and the cause of our actions?

What do they say is the cause of one man embracing God, but another denying Him?

Jeremiah 1:5

NKJV - 5 "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; Before you were born I sanctified you; I ordained you a prophet to the nations."

Clarify Share Report Asked March 07 2014 Stringio Charles Godewyn

3
Stringio Vincent Mercado Supporter Skeptic turned believer, Catholic, father of 3
God himself is the source of Man's free will. Man chooses to either love or reject God. Man chooses to either do good or do evil. Free will is what makes love genuine. Man is capable of loving because of his free will. A robot, who has no free will, cannot love.

Having free will is not a rejection of God's sovreignty. In fact, it supports it. God is sovreign to allow Man to love him freely, like a child loves his father. A puppet cannot love the puppeteer. 

Man is not totally deprived. Deep within himself is a desire for God which allows his to choose good and reject evil. Jesus commanded us to love our enemies and pray for those who persecute us. We decide our response.

March 13 2014 10 responses Vote Up Share Report

2
Isabella earrings Dan Rivers Christian, Husband, Grandfather, Son, AT&T retiree
I believe we all have a "free" will to choose what we want. But we must look at the operative word "want". 

Absent any coercion or fear, people only choose what they want...
And again when under no duress people only want what they understand to be beneficial to them...

If you read these two statements;

Statement "A" "EZERU MTIBO GOPTI HILMO"

and Statement "B" "RAISE YOUR HAND IF YOU WOULD WANT A $1,000"

I would venture to say that most everyone would choose "B" mostly because it benefits them and also because they don't know what "A" means. They don't understand it.

But I'm sure if they knew that if "A" meant "raise your hand if you want $1,000,000" they would regret not choosing "A"...

Now the Word of God tells us that people that don't have the indwelling Holy Spirit can't understand the things of God...

1Co 2:14 ESV - "The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to UNDERSTAND them because they are spiritually discerned."

Jesus said as much...Jhn 14:17 ESV - "even the Spirit of truth, whom the world CANNOT receive, because it NEITHER SEES HIM NOR KNOWS. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you."

No one can confess that "Jesus is Lord" and Believe it in their HEART, Rom 10:9 unless they have the HS

1Co 12:3 NIV - "Therefore I want you to know that no one who is speaking by the Spirit of God says, "Jesus be cursed," and NO ONE can say, "Jesus is Lord," except by the Holy Spirit."

The HS has to first touch your heart before you can understand and thus believe the Word of God...

Act 16:14 NIV - "One of those listening was a woman from the city of Thyatira named Lydia, a dealer in purple cloth. She was a worshiper of God. The Lord OPENED her heart to respond to Paul's message."

Rom 2:29 NIV - "No, a person is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is circumcision of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the written code. Such a person's praise is not from other people, but from God."

Those without the HS are referred to as the "natural" man or in the "Flesh"
Now I'm sure we would all agree that believing in Jesus WOULD be pleasing to God. But Paul tells us that those in the "flesh" CANNOT please God...

Rom 8:6-8...Rom 8:8 NIV - "Those who are in the realm of the flesh cannot please God."

So we should be able to see and understand (if you have the HS) that without the HS we would never understand much less believe in Jesus...

So although we may have "free will" we cannot choose to believe in Jesus unless God touches, opens our heart and removes the blindfold that satan has covering our understanding...

2Cor 4:4 NLT - "Satan, who is the god of this world, has blinded the minds of those who don't believe. They are unable to see the glorious light of the Good News. They don't UNDERSTAND this message about the glory of Christ, who is the exact likeness of God."

As Jesus tells us God has to DRAW you and ENABLE you before you come to him,
Jhn 6:44 NLT - "For no one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them to me, and at the last day I will raise them up."

Jhn 6:65 NIV - "He went on to say, "This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has ENABLED them.""

I am humbled and joyful that God is in control of my salvation and not I...
because if it were left to me I surely would mess it all up just like everyone did before the Cross!

Praise God!

March 14 2014 0 responses Vote Up Share Report