0

How should we pray during this Covid-19 pandemic, bearing in mind it may be part of our sovereign Lord's plan?

Covid19 may somehow help many unsaved to come to Christ and therefore be a part of God's plan. Alternately, there may be other positive reasons for its presence that only God alone knows. Therefore, praying against it may not be in His will. How do we pray about this horrid virus?

Clarify Share Report Asked April 23 2020 Mini ainsley chalmers

1
Yes, God is sovereign, and nothing happens without His permissive will. God is also able to bring ultimate good out of even the worst circumstances. However, in this present age, we still live in a fallen world in which forces opposed to God are also very active, and circumstances can occur that are not in accordance with God's specific will, among which I would include the presence of communicable diseases. I would grant that a product of pandemics such as this may be the bringing of some people to repentance and faith, but I would be very hesitant in concluding that God allowed this particular pandemic for that purpose.

The pandemic is causing much death and suffering that may involve or affect anyone. Also, it is taking the lives of people who have not yet been reached with the gospel. From that perspective, I would view it as perfectly proper for Christians to pray that it be alleviated, and to work in whatever way they can to bring about its eradication.

April 23 2020 1 response Vote Up Share Report

0
Mini Aurel Gheorghe
'Then the Lord appeared to Solomon in the night and said to him: “I have heard your prayer and have chosen this place for myself as a house of sacrifice. When I shut up the heavens so that there is no rain, or command the locust to devour the land, or send pestilence among my people, if my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land." (2 Chronicles 7:12-14).

April 24 2020 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

0
Mini Grant Abbott Child of Father, Follower of Son, Student of Spirit
When we consider what God's will might be in relation to specific events in our world, like the Covid-19 pandemic, I believe it is important that we first remind ourselves what God's general will is, as revealed in the bible.

1. Jesus, as creator, expects every human being to obedient to his will, as revealed in the bible (Genesis 2 & 3); (Deut 28 - Blessings for Obedience); (Matt 12:36-37); (Rom 5:12-20); (Rom 14:12); (1 Pet 4:1-5)

2. Jesus, as redeemer, wants every human being to be saved from his judgment and eternal wrath (2 Pet 3:9); (John 3:16-18); (Rom 5:8)

3. Jesus, as king, expects his people to surrender to his authority, follow his leadership and live pure and holy lives (Matt 28:18-20); (Matt 10:5-42); (Luke 10:1-24); (2 Pet 3:11-14) 

Now that we know these broad theological truths about God's general will for all people, it can guide our understanding of what God wants to accomplish through specific events that take place in out lives. Here are some suggestions:

1. Pray for the salvation of everyone who does not have a personal relationship with God through faith in Jesus Christ (Mark 1:5)

2. Pray that the Lord will send workers into his fields to gather in the harvest (Matt 9:38)

3. Pray that people will forsake their idols and turn to the Lord in sincere and pure devotion (1 Thes 1:2-10)

4. Pray that the church of Jesus Christ will be prepared for his second coming (Rev 21:1-27)

God often used calamity (like plagues) in the Old Testament to cause the nation of Israel, his chosen people, to turn away from their evil and wickedness and turn back to a sincere and pure devotion to God. God even used the warning of impending disaster to turn an entire city away from its evil and into an obedient and faith-filled relationship with God (Jonah 1:1; 3:1-10).

God's specific will in the midst of any trial or test we may face, like this Covid-19 pandemic, will be unique for each person, but will always be in harmony with his general will revealed in the bible.

God welcomes us to ask him to reveal his specific will for each of us, in the midst of a health crisis like this, and he will surely guide and direct us so we fulfill the good work that he is doing in our lives.

May 08 2020 0 responses Vote Up Share Report