1

How can we know that the Bible is inspired, infallible, and inerrant?

Hebrews 4:12

ESV - 12 For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

Clarify Share Report Asked January 01 2019 Mini Jack Gutknecht

2
Mini Aurel Gheorghe
It's rather easy to demonstrate the authenticity of the Bible. To anyone criticizing its content I would say first read it - many critics never took the time to read the entire Bible. The field of archaeology time and time again proved the Bible's record to be true. 

The Bible contains 66 books written by 44 different authors over a span of 1500 years. These authors, from many walks of life, and of varying degrees of education, most of whom never knew each other were able to write only through God's inspiration. The authenticity of its stories and of the people who lived in its history has been authenticated by many discoveries: 

The Dead Sea Scrolls discovered in 1948. 

The Cyrus Cylinder, discovered in 1879, records Cyrus' overthrow of Babylon and his subsequent deliverance of the Jewish captives.

The Rosetta Stone, discovered in 1799 in Egypt, was written in 3 languages and unlocked the mystery of the hieroglyphics which confirm the authenticity of the Bible.

The Moabite Stone discovered in 1868 in Jordan, confirmed Moabite attacks on Israel as recorded in 2 Kings 1 and 2 Kings 3.

The Lachish Letters, discovered in 1930s north of Beersheba, described the attack of Nebuchadnezzar on Jerusalem in 586 BC.

In addition, many of the Bible's prophecies have already come true. Prophecies concerning Babylon (Isaiah 13:19-22), Tyre (Ezekiel 26:3-5), Sidon (Ezekiel 28:21-23), Cyrus (Ezra 4:3; 5:13-14; Isaiah 44:28; 45:1), Medo Persia (Daniel 8:20-21), Greece (Daniel 8:20-21), and Jesus' birthplace Bethlehem (Micah 5:2) have all been fulfilled as predicted. All these are strong arguments for the trustworthiness of the Bible.

January 02 2019 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

0
Mini Grant Abbott Child of Father, Follower of Son, Student of Spirit
Let’s first understand these words from the question: 1) Inspired – means of extraordinary quality, as if arising from some external creative purpose, 2) Infallible - means incapable of making mistakes or being wrong, 3) Inerrant means incapable of being wrong.

My answer will argue that we can know that the bible meets these conditions from the words of the scriptures themselves based on two propositions:
1)	The entire bible is the revelation of God's Word to human beings
2)	Jesus Christ, the only Son of God, is the embodiment of all truth 

Now, let’s look at what the scriptures say.

2 Timothy 3:16
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness.

Hebrews 6:16-18
People swear by someone greater than themselves, and the oath confirms what is said and puts an end to all argument. Because God wanted to make the unchanging nature of his purpose very clear to the heirs of what was promised, he confirmed it with an oath. God did this so that, by two unchangeable things in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled to take hold of the hope set before us may be greatly encouraged.

John 1:14
The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

John 3:31-33
The one who comes from above is above all; the one who is from the earth belongs to the earth and speaks as one from the earth. The one who comes from heaven is above all. He testifies to what he has seen and heard, but no one accepts his testimony. Whoever has accepted it has certified that God is truthful.

John 7:18
Jesus answered, “My teaching is not my own. It comes from the one who sent me. Anyone who chooses to do the will of God will find out whether my teaching comes from God or whether I speak on my own. Whoever speaks on their own does so to gain personal glory, but he who seeks the glory of the one who sent him is a man of truth; there is nothing false about him.

John 14:6-7
Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you really know me, you will know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.”

John 16:13
But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.

John 17:17
Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth.

1 John 2:20-21
But you have an anointing from the Holy One, and all of you know the truth. I do not write to you because you do not know the truth, but because you do know it and because no lie comes from the truth.

January 04 2019 0 responses Vote Up Share Report