1

How can I avoid keeping grudges against someone?

Colossians 3:13

NKJV - 13 Bearing with one another, and forgiving one another, if anyone has a complaint against another; even as Christ forgave you, so you also must do.

Clarify Share Report Asked December 04 2020 Mini Anonymous

4
First, I would follow the advice of Paul as contained in the passage cited by the question, by remembering how much God has forgiven (and forgotten) about my own conduct for Jesus' sake. (God's perspective on the matter is provided by Jesus' parable of the unmerciful servant (Matthew 18:21-35), whose master forgave him a tremendous debt after the servant had begged him for mercy, but who then went out and had another fellow servant thrown into prison because the fellow servant owed him a debt that was a pittance by comparison. In addition, Jesus indicated in that parable that, if we do not forgive others their trespasses, God will not forgive the trespasses that we commit.)

I would also follow the advice of C. S. Lewis on how to exhibit Christian love someone toward whom we did not have particularly loving feelings or emotions. Lewis advised asking ourselves, "How would I act toward this person if I DID love him?", and then act that way. Over time, we will find that our feelings will follow our actions. Also, try separating feelings about the person's actions from the person himself or herself.

Finally, has the questioner tried viewing the situation from the other person's perspective, or has the questioner tried actually talking to the person toward whom he or she holds a grudge? The other person may be entirely unaware of the questioner's feelings, as well as how those feelings are related to something that he or she did.

December 05 2020 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

3
Emilio 1992 Emo Tenorio Shomer
I humbly submit that this question is of much value in this age and season, especially when so many people are offended over such small life matters. (Matthew 24:4; Mark 13:5)

The bait of Satan is that you harden your heart against person X first and second eventually causing a void with God the longer you hold it. Perhaps even blaming HIM for letting the transgression happen in the first place! (Mark 13:12)

From my own experience in such matters, the releasing of person X by you is for your benefit; think selfishly if you need to start any releasing program. If you do not release, you become a willing captive in this time capsule, as you pursue that pound of flesh. And the hidden danger is that this desire may become greater than anything else in your very short stage time life! (Mark 13:23)

By releasing person X you are removing them as a focal point within your daily life and asking God for help, in this it's okay to be very loud or vocal as He understands trust me.

Upon your interest release God is now free to step in fighting your battle as scripture tells us. The new equation becomes God + unrepentant sinner X = heartbreak hotel in Judgment City.

"The wages of sin is death" the Hebrew word wages here means that which is owed and paid daily to a hired workman. And a workman can only get paid, then they are released for the day.

“He who thinks reasonably must think morally.” ~C.S. "Jack" Lewis

In the Lord's freedom........warrior on

December 05 2020 3 responses Vote Up Share Report