0

Why does Paul call Jesus the first to rise from the dead when other people had been raised from the dead, such as Lazarus?

Why does the apostle, Paul, in his defense in Acts 26, starting mid-verse 22 thru 23, refer to Old Testament prophesies saying, "I am saying nothing beyond what the prophets and Moses said would happen—
that the Messiah would suffer and, as the first to rise from the dead,
would bring this message of light to his own people and to the gentiles."

My question: Why does Paul call Jesus the first to rise from the dead?
I ask because Jesus raised others, like Lazarus, from the dead before his own death and resurrection.

Acts 26:22 - 23

ESV - 22 To this day I have had the help that comes from God, and so I stand here testifying both to small and great, saying nothing but what the prophets and Moses said would come to pass: 23 That the Christ must suffer and that, by being the first to rise from the dead, he would proclaim light both to our people and to the Gentiles.

Clarify Share Report Asked February 22 2018 Bell b final4 B H Bell

For follow-up discussion and general commentary on the topic. Comments are sorted chronologically.

Be the first to start the discussion!

Login or Sign Up to add your comment.