3

What does the Hebrews 10:26 mean concerning 'willful sin?'

Hebrews 10:26

ESV - 26 For if we go on sinning deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins.

Clarify Share Report Asked March 13 2017 Mini Wanda Jenkins

For follow-up discussion and general commentary on the topic. Comments are sorted chronologically.

Mini Justin Hall

Do sins have varying degrees of willfulness? After being saved, my sister was killed in a hi-jacking (shot dead for her car.) it affected me badly so I stumbled and I willfully did a lot of sin even though I knew how real Jesus is and what I was doing is wrong. In this time I never rejected or denied Christ though. I have in turn done a full 180 and repented of these sins and trying my best on my walk. I have repented of my sin sincerely and have asked for forgiveness. I am just trying to relate to this topic and get the answer of whether it is too late for me? 

May 15 2019 Report

Closeup Jennifer Rothnie

Fortunately, Heb 10:26 and the rest of the chapter have nothing to do with whether we willingly commit a sin or not. Most of us Christians go through periods, or have particular besetting sins, where we know full well we shouldn't do something but do it anyway.

The "state" of willful sin is that of slavery to sin. This could be the state of an unbeliever who is dead in sin and condemned under the law but doesn't realize it, or it could be the state of a former believer who rejected Christ as Savior for various reasons (such as persecution) and returned to the world and trying to achieve salvation by his own merit. Paul dealt with a lot of false teachers who tried to lure Christians away from the New Covenant in Christ back to the Old Covenant of law.

So no, it's not 'too late' for you - struggling and engaging in sin are not the same thing as being slaves to sin. You aren't a slave to sin, you are a child of God. God views you through the righteousness of Christ, imputing His moral perfection to you, and not through your own sins or shortcomings.

"My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father--Jesus Christ, the Righteous One." I John 2:1

When Christians sin, we have Jesus Christ to defend us. But those in a state of 'willful sin' have rejected Christ as their advocate, so who will defend them? Your situation is the struggle with sin all Christians face, NOT the state of willful sin.

May 15 2019 Report

Mini Justin Hall

Ok so what is the time frame then? As all I want is to feel Gods Love again and not be condemned by these scriptures I'm not a person tryna go crucify a bull. I know Jesus is the only way. But sometimes we struggle and condemn ourselves with the bible which makes us stumble.

May 15 2019 Report

Closeup Jennifer Rothnie

There isn't a time frame. It's a simple matter of what state a person is in - belief vs. unbelief; dead to sin vs. dead in sin; abiding in Christ vs. rejecting Christ and trying to live under the law, etc. There isn't a running clock or 'sin meter' or anything like that we need to worry about.

That feeling of condemnation is not from the Bible or the scriptures - feelings of condemnation arise from Satan or self. The best way to deal with them is to read God's promises and reject Satan's lies, pray, confess any unconfessed sin, and remember that so long as we are in Christ there is no condemnation.

"Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you a free from the law of sin and death. For what the law was powerless to do because it was weakened by the flesh, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the flesh but according to the Spirit." Rom 8:1-3

May 15 2019 Report

Mini Justin Hall

Thanks Jennifer but you dont understand my brain it's terrible and analyzes everything. These scriptures do effect me and I'm sure other Christian's too who get confused. When we cant understand or move on from a certain passaged such as these it's hard to look at the promises and soak them in when you feel condemned with this passage. Not all of have same brain or fighting depression etc.

May 16 2019 Report

Login or Sign Up to add your comment.