2

Who are the elect of God?

21
Simply put, the "elect of God" are those whom God has predestined to salvation. They are called the "elect" because that word denotes the concept of choosing. Every four years in the U.S., we 'elec...

7
Image41 Ezekiel Kimosop Pastor, Teacher
Put another way, the question can be asked. Has God already decided on the final of those he has already predestined for eternal salvation?

I appreciate that this is doctrine carries a difficult theology but my view is something in between these two extremes. I believe that God does superintend all things and perfectly knows and causing His divine will to be executed among men even concerning the election of saints but I also recognize that John 3:16 and a host of other Bible passages gives man the responsibility to make a choice to accept or reject God's grace. A good example is the teaching that comes from the several parables of Jesus and more specifically parable or Wedding Banquet (Matthew 22). 

While it is granted that God in his divine wisdom does know the full list of all those to be saved in the end (and perhaps holds one in his hands!), this is largely informed by his nature as an all knowing God. He knew all things even the fact that Adam and Eve would fail Satan's temptation but he certainly did not influence Satan to achieve the outcome of the fall. 

I believe it is best if we allow the two continuums to find an equilibrium in the middle so that we do not reject express Scripture teachings regarding the free will of man which is manifestly taught by the Bible and at the same time not ignore the fact that God's divine influence on our human affairs and destiny of all His creation is validly proclaimed in the Bible too (Romans 9). 

Otherwise both extremes of this theological argument do find support in Scripture yet they appear so torn apart and largely confusing to the church through all the church ages.

August 04 2014 3 responses Vote Up Share Report

5
Mini Billy P Eldred
In my opinion:

Does God Forechoose those who are to be saved or does He make Salvation available to all? Kind of a Calvinism verses Armenianism question. I think both are correct. I believe there are those who God has forechose and as the Calvin camp teaches, they have/will receive an irresistible call because they have been chosen to accomplish something specific in God's plan. 

However the Bible says that God wants all to come to the saving knowledge of Jesus. (1Timothy 2) And wants all to be saved. (2Peter 3) Everyone has the opportunity to accept Jesus. It is true that God knows whether we will make that decision as he can see the end and the beginning. But it is still our decision. 

So Calvinist and Armenianist are BOTH correct, they just apply to two different groups of people. 

So who are the elect? Maybe the term applies to just those who God forechose. That kind of makes sense to me when the Bible says "even the Elect will be deceived if that were possible". (Matthew 24:24) It seems to differentiate between "the elect" and other Christians. Or maybe it applies to all Christians. Or maybe it applies to only the most devoted Christians. Regardless the verse in Matt. 24 is a warning to us to be on the watch for false prophets and false signs and wonders in the end days, which we could be living in today.

October 26 2014 1 response Vote Up Share Report

5
Stringio Bongani Cele
I Timothy 2:3-4 NKJV
For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

II Peter 3:9 NKJV
The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.

These two bits of Scripture are very critical to the answering of this question. Reason being is that it has follow up questions or statements a person might ask? 

If God chooses then why bother living a Holy life, He's chosen anyway. Or on that day those "not chosen" could simply say You didn't choose me & so forth.

So I will answer this question by posing another question: how does God choose the elect? The answer I find here...
1 Peter 1:1-2 ESV
Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who are ELECT exiles of the Dispersion in Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, in the sanctification of the Spirit, FOR OBEDIENCE TO JESUS CHRIST and for sprinkling with his blood: May grace and peace be multiplied to you.

God has already chosen us but not by flipping a coin but by His FOREKNOWLEDGE; knowledge about what? OUR "obedience to Jesus Christ". 

So in effect or in a sense we choose ourselves whether we are chosen by God. 

God sent Jesus to die, not for some, but for the all. 

John 1:11-12 GNT

He came to his own, but his own people did not receive him.

Some, however, did receive him and believed in him; so he gave them the right to become God's children.

November 10 2014 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

3
Closeup Jennifer Rothnie Supporter Housewife, Artist, Perpetually Curious
The elect are the people of God joined together under the headship of Christ (1 Peter 2:4-9). We as individual believers do not actually know who all the elect are until Christ returns and we inherit what has been promised us; a glorified body, that we might have eternal life with Christ. (Rom 8:19-30, Matt 13:24-29, Heb 6:1-12, 1 Pet 1:3-9).

Throughout the Bible, election has always been a testimony of God's sovereignty and eternal perspective. It is meant to be a comfort, to be a testimony of the fulfillment of prophecy, to show God's power and knowledge, and to show how none of God's good purpose is frustrated by the actions of man.

For example, when God called ('elected') Israel from among all the nations (1 Chron 17:21), it was so that Israel might be blessed among nations and all nations be blessed through Israel. It also was the nation God chose to work His eternal plan through. It's true and final purpose was for the physical nation of Israel to stand as a type for the eventual 'spiritual' people of God, and for God's redemption of Israel to stand in as a type for the redemption of Christ for all men. 

However, the jews became arrogant in their position as 'the chosen people of God'. They expected a messiah who would set up the jews as the actual rulers of all nations, and were infuriated by the early church gospel expansion to the gentiles. They could not understand how the gentiles could be "elect". And yet, God had chosen the gentiles to be brought into the fold of God long before Christ came to man. (1 Pet 2:10, Rom 9:6-26)

Rom 9:26 hearkens back to a very important time in Israel's history (Hosea 1:9, Hosea 11:1-4), where God's wrath against Israel's unfaithfulness caused him to declare "You are not my people". God's choice of Israel did not guarantee their obedience. In the same way we always have a choice between endurance in faith, or faithless abandonment (II Tim 2:8-13, Col 1:21-23, Rev 3:1-6, Heb 3:6).

Hosea 11:2 is especially convicting: "But the more they were called, the more they went away from me". Many are called, but few are chosen. (Matt 22:1-14)

The jews placed their hope in being the chosen people of God while simultaneously ignoring the commands of God. Conversely, Jesus states "If you love me, keep my commands", (John 14:15) and " Whoever belongs to God hears what God says." (John 8:47), and "...the Son of Man must be lifted up, that everyone who believes may have eternal life in him.” (John 3:14-17)

We should continually examine ourselves to see if we are growing in relationship with Christ (II Pet 1:3-11); thus confirming our calling and election. No man or principality of the heir can take our hope away. If we are subject to Christ, then we are part of the people of God. God is purifying for himself a people all His own (Titus 2:11-14). This refinement process is hard, with many trials - but so long as we keep faith God's power will guard us, and we will overcome. (1 Pet 1:3-9, 1 John 5:1-5). Our abiding faith in Christ will lead us to grow (John 15).

The important take away is that our hope is not based in an abstract concept of hoping we have been chosen in God, or faith in being among the elect vs. Being in Christ. Rather, our hope is a concrete assurance of the Ressurection. We know, *concretely*, that we are the elect of God due to our abiding faith. We rest in Christ alone as Savior and Lord! (1 Tim 1:1, 1 Tim 4:10, Eph 1:12, Titus 2:11-14). 

God predestined the process, Christ, by which He would choose and redeem a people for Himself, a plan for salvation that God chose in His foreknowledge and wisdom. As such, we become part of the people of God by faith - not because God looked to the future, or because God chose that we as individuals would have faith while others would not - but because through Christ God chose to give us the right to be His children (I John 2:24-29, I John 3:1-10, Rom 8:1-16, Rom 9; Rev 21:13, II Sam 7:22-24, etc).

1
Mini James Kraft 74 year old retired pipeline worker
The elect of God are those who have believed on Him as the only way of salvation plus nothing. 

Roman 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that BELIEVETH, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

God made the way of salvation before the foundation of the world. He also gave man a free will. So salvation is by man's choice to believe what God has said. John 6:47 Verily, verily, I say unto you, he that believeth on me HATH EVERLASTING LIFE.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, Jesus, that WHOSOEVER, BELIEVETH in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life. 

So election is by man's choice, not Gods. He made the way of salvation by grace, but we have to believe it to be saved. John 3:18.

First John 5:13 These things have I written unto you that BELIEVE on the name of the Son of God, that ye may KNOW YE HAVE ETERNAL LIFE.

1
Andy  3 photo Andy Mangus I am a Christian since October 1979 & devoted truth seeker.
To me, there is specifically one scripture that very definitively answers this question: To me, it is JOHN 3:16! To me, GOD could not be more loving, caring or more direct! "JESUS paid it all. GOD, The Father; GOD, The Son; and GOD, the Holy Spirit are ONE and IS TOTALLY OUTSIDE THE HUMAN UNDERSTANDING OF *TIME*! We humans can't comprehend that what we understand as 'predestinate (predestination)', is a mental conceptual challenge at it's very, very least! And, is beyond our humanness; in the flesh capability of TRUE MENTAL understanding! GOD told us all in HIs Holy Word that He created everything; and, that includes time! *** God Knew, Knows and always will know who and whom will "freely" choose by 'hearing His calling; realizing their sinful self is in dire need of being saved and by their free will choice will heed God's calling to accept His free GIFT OF ETERNAL SALVATION!

MAJOR POINT OF EMPHASIS IS THIS BIBLICAL TRUTH! GOD KNOWS ALL; SEES ALL; HAS ALWAYS EXISTED and WILL FOREVER EXIST!

For simplicity and....sanity!.....my approach is this: We can't truly comprehend the true magnitude of God until we meet our LORD in Heaven Above!

"Praise God that He provided a Savior! And, His name is Jesus Christ!--ANDY--

October 13 2019 0 responses Vote Up Share Report