What did Jesus mean when He instructed us hate our father and mother (Luke 14:26)?
26 If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple.
Community answers are sorted based on votes. The higher the vote, the further up an answer is.
S. Michael Houdmann
First, we must take this verse in the context of the chapter. Jesus is teaching His disciples, and like any good teacher, He begins with a truth statement that is hard to understand in order to get...
Sign Up to view the rest of this answer.
He meant that in order for the 12 plus the 70 or so, plus the 120 at Pentecost, plus the 18 language groups gathered there, that if they could not take up His Cross and follow Him without looking back, they would serve no useful purpose.
Add your Answer
All answers are REVIEWED and MODERATED.
What makes a good answer? ▼
Please ensure your answer MEETS all our guidelines.
A good answer provides new insight and perspective. Here are guidelines to help facilitate a meaningful learning experience for everyone.
- Adhere to the eBible Statement of Faith.
- Your answer should be complete and stand-alone.
- Include supporting arguments, and scripture references if possible. Seek to answer the "why".
- Adhere to a proper tone and spirit of love and understanding.
- For more info see The Complete Guide to eBible