1

What was the sin of Sodom and Gomorrah?

19
The biblical account of Sodom and Gomorrah is recorded in Genesis chapters 18-19. Genesis chapter 18 records the Lord and two angels coming to speak with Abraham. The Lord informed Abraham that "th...

July 01 2013 1 response Vote Up Share Report

5
Mini Ed Smith Retired teacher
The sin of Sodom and Gomorrah was that of homosexuality. Chapter 13 tells us something about the nature of the Sodomites: "But the men of Sodom were wicked and sinners before the LORD exceedingly" (Gen 13:13).

"But before they lay down, the men of the city, even the men of Sodom, compassed the house round, both old and young, all the people from every quarter: And they called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where are the men which came in to thee this night? Bring them out unto us, that we may know them. And Lot went out at the door unto them, and shut the door after him, And said, I pray you, brethren, do not so wickedly. Behold now, I have two daughters which have not known man; let me, I pray you, bring them out unto you, and do ye to them as is good in your eyes: Gen 19:4-8 (KJV)

The Holman Christian Standard Bible says, "Send them out to us so we can have sex with them!” (v 5)

The New King James Version adds the word carnally: "Bring them out to us that we may know them carnally."

October 06 2014 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

2
Data Danny Hickman Supporter Believer in The Gospel Of Jesus Christ
The question: the sin of Sodom and Gomorrah.. 
Ezekiel 16:49,50 gives a good explanation of the SINS of Sodom AND her sisters. The whole region was under judgement for the way they were living. God had been good to that area. Lot chose... "all the plain of Jordan, that it was well watered everywhere" Gen 13:10. By the time we get to Genesis 19, we read of how unfaithful the area had become. 

"Behold this was the guilt of your sister Sodom"
(Ezekiel is prophesying to Jerusalem. He calls Sodom Jerusalem's younger sister to the south, Samaria her older sister to the north): she and her DAUGHTERS had arrogance, abundance of food and careless ease (lots of leisure time), but she did not help the poor and needy. "Thus THEY were haughty and committed abominations before Me. Therefore I removed them when I saw it"(Ezekiel 16:49,50). Ezekiel is comparing Jerusalem to her younger sister, saying how much like Sodom Jerusalem is. Jerusalem has a reputation for being prideful and unfaithful, but not for homosexuality. 

God destroyed that whole region, not just the two cities of Sodom and Gomorrah, but the other smaller cities also in that valley. The angels tell Lot to take his family to the mountains because their mission was to destroy the whole valley. (But God specializes in showing mercy) Lot tells the angels 'You've shown me mercy and I've found grace in your sight, I can't escape to the mountains lest some evil take me and I die'. He asks permission to go to the small city of Zoar. The angel says 'I have accepted you concerning this thing ALSO, that I will not overthrow this city, because of what you have spoken'. Zoar was spared because of Lot. And He overthrew those cities, and all the plain...Gen 19:25.

The destruction is called, "God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah." But there were more cities than that. It was the cities of the plain of Jordan. Their sin was pride that morphed into pleasure that led to all kinds of detestable living. Homosexuality is a grave sin. But, was it not being practiced in other areas of what we now call the Middle East? Lot lived in Sodom, not Zoar. But Zoar was a target also, as well as the other DAUGHTERS of Sodom. The destruction was planned before the angels were approached by the men of Sodom to gang rape them. We know that, because they told Lot they had been sent because of the sins of the city. 

Pride is stated twice by Ezekiel. He says they were well fed, had plenty of time to relax, and was very selfish with their abundance toward the needy. He's stating how good God had been to them. And in spite of all that, they dishonored God and themselves by committing detestable acts before the Lord. They completely forgot about God. They were an example of the consequences of unfaithfulness coupled with arrogance toward God.

It was much bigger than homosexuality.

August 04 2018 4 responses Vote Up Share Report