3

Does the Holy Spirit "convict" born-again persons of sin?

John 16:8 says the Holy Spirit will convict the "world" of sin. Christians are not of this world. I know we as believers can grieve the Holy Spirit. My question is specifically regarding conviction of a true Christian of sin by the Spirit of God.

Clarify (1) Share Report Asked April 22 2014 Mini David Soto

7
Stringio Mi Shad Ow Layman
First let me thank you for the way that you worded the question. And here is why I am thanking you.

1) It is the job of the Holy Spirit to "guide us to all truth" John 16:13. The scriptures that speak about "walk in the light" 1John 1:7 and like all serve as a plumb line. That he uses to convict/remind us when we have fallen in to sin, so that we can one again be righteous in Gods eyes Rom. 3:23, 1 John 2:1, Prov. 24:16. 

2) Unfortunately most of us spend/spent too much time not knowing the difference between the Holy Spirit convicting us and the enemy condemning us. Which is why there are scriptures like Rom. 8:1, Rom. 3:23 & 24 and so many more.

So the answer is yes, the Holy Spirit does convict born again believers of sin.

April 24 2014 2 responses Vote Up Share Report

7
Q jcryle001 JD Abshire
Most assuredly the Holy Spirit convicts a believer of sin. It is He who quickens or makes a spiritually dead person alive and aware of his lost condition then saves and seals him. Yes, the eternal penalty for sin has been reconciled never to be addressed again. The power of Christ's death, burial and resurrection has positioned the believer in a right standing before God. However, this does not eliminate the old nature and tendency toward sin. 

Galatians 5:17 "For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would."

Philippians 1:6 "Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:"

A truly saved, born again believer is viewed sinless positionally, in Christ, under the blood. By his substitutionary sacrifice we are declared righteous but still have no inherent righteousness. 

2 Corinthians 5:21 " For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him." 

The Apostle Paul spoke of his own struggle and the battle that raged within. Romans 7:18 "For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
v. 19 "For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do."
v. 20 "Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me."

Hebrews 12:5 " And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him:" 

Heb 12:6 "For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth." 

Heb 12:7 "If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?" 

Heb 12:8 "But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons." 

1 John 1:8 "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us." 

1 Jo 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." 

1 John 1:10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us."

April 24 2014 4 responses Vote Up Share Report

6
Andy  3 photo Andy Mangus I am a Christian since October 1979 & devoted truth seeker.
Most assuredly YES, THE HOLY SPIRIT does 'convict us of our sins'; both, before -AND- after we receive salvation! Before I got saved, I remember so much and so many times of 'living in the desires of an unsaved heart, mind and lifestyle pursuits" for which I was not even thinking of them as wrongdoings or sins! 

And, the thing is: I was raised in Church! I was going and had been taken to church almost every Sunday morning and every Sunday night since I was 4 weeks old, in the nursery behind one way glass near the front of the sanctuary!

Then God's Holy Spirit began working on me within just a few days of the night I got SAVED! The overpowering conviction of my contrite heart and very strong sense of filthy guilt of my sins for which I desperately needed "a savior" by the Name of Jesus Christ really began working on me! He reached down and spoke to me and 'touched' me deep within my spirit and caused me to begin to understand just how badly I and my eternal soul needed Him to save me so that "I may reside with Him for all eternity"! And, since then, He seems to remind me at least once a day or even more that I need to ask for His forgiveness and His divine guidance and blessings; every day! 

And, without question: The Holy Spirit convicts every 'Saved person' of their sins! He certainly does this for me for sure! Sometimes, it seems it is simply too frequently! Especially, when I feel that need to stop what I'm doing and simply pray, ask for God's forgiveness and turn my cares, needs, desires and request over to my Heavenly Father in Heaven!

"Praise God that we have a Savior! And, His name is Jesus Christ!" --Andy--

4
Mini Corey Jon
When you receive the Holy Spirit he wants nothing else than to make you stay on the path of following Jesus and doing the stuff that is honoring to God. So when you say "convict," yes the Holy Spirit convicts us by making it known to us that we surely did sin and we we a sense of "man I messed up but I am forgiven through the blood Jesus spilled for me" the spirit will convict you on it and lead you away from it.

April 23 2014 1 response Vote Up Share Report

4
Photo Anthony Clinton Teacher in China
Certainly God uses conviction of sin in the Church today and throughout the ages because sin separates people from Him. The way Holy Spirit convicts of sin in our present day can be seen from the words of Jesus and the ministry of the apostles. 

Paul had to speak to the Corinthian Church about their ignoring a brother having an immoral relationship with his stepmother. That man had to be shown to be an example that God does not ignore sin nor does he accept it in a believer’s life. Wickedness had to be purged from the Church because it contaminates the whole company of believers. 1Cor 5:6-13. This holy conviction of sin is further described by the apostle Paul in 2Cor 7:1-12. The Holy Spirit used the apostle Paul in these words to bring severe conviction upon the Church and it was called “godly sorrow” that led them to repentance. These portions of Scripture show that God does not accept unchecked sin and wickedness in the Church. It needs to be driven out of the Church with the flames of the Holy Fire of the Spirit. If we imagine that God overlooked such sin because of the priceless blood of Christ, why is the anointed apostle used of the Holy Spirit to demonstrate otherwise. If such sin was accepted by the believers and was not a threat then these would have been a pointless scriptures. Yes indeed the Holy Spirit convicts the Church of sin. 

When the Fiery Flames of the Holy Spirit was searching the Body of Christ as demonstrated in the book of Revelation Chapters 2 – 3, what is evident is the need for the believers to repent of the rot or they might be blotted out of the Book Of Life or might have to fear that the second death will be the result of those who are not faithful to the end in martyrdom. So the best description of the conviction that the Holy Spirit brings upon those whom He dearly loves is described from the words spoke to the Church of Laodicea. 

Rev 3:19..I rebuke and punish all whom I love. Be in earnest, then, and turn from your sins.

The Words of Christ in teaching the responsibility of exercising brotherly love and unity because of the danger of not forgiving a brother also make it clear that the Holy Spirit convicts His children of sin. Matthew 18: 15-35. From these words uttered by Christ and the parable of “the unforgiving servant” we learn IF YOU DO NOT FORGIVE A BROTHER GOD WILL NOT FORGIVE YOU. The method used to restore a brother after an offense is also The Holy Spirit’s process of bringing conviction on His children.

April 29 2014 2 responses Vote Up Share Report

3
Mini kevin haney
When we walk in the Spirit, HE leads and guides and there is no condemnation. But guess what happens when we do not walk in the Spirit? And guess what the Spirit does when we begin to drift away from the walk and talk? If you want to see the difference, study the life of Samuel in comparison to Saul. Saul was trying to conform to ways of GOD. Samuel experienced the transformation.

Romans 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.

For those who think the conviction and guiding of the Spirit was only in the NT, need to study the "voice of the LORD" in the OT. Samuel knew that voice. Joshua knew that voice. The Prophets knew that voice. Elijah knew it, that calm, quiet voice.

The difference in the Spirit from OT to NT is similar to the difference between Jesus in the OT and NT. Both were always there and did the same work as the NT. The only difference: they are better known in and after NT.

December 19 2014 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

2
David goliath victory hg clr Jim Tumlinson One beggar leading others to where the bread is
From what I have found the answer is no. In the book of John as you referenced this is the only place I have seen that Jesus talks about the Holy Spirit convicting anyone of sin. 

In Romans chapter 8 the bible says there is no condemnation for those in Christ. Once we are born again there is no sin counted against us so therefore there is no sin to convict us of nor condemn us. The bible is full of scripture that says Christ died once for all, He was the propitiation for our sins, etc.

In 2 Corinthians 5:21 the bible says we are the righteousness of God in Christ. When do we become unrighteous for the Holy Spirit to convict us. In addition to that the bible also says that "His righteousness remains forever". So we are made righteous once we are born again and therefore there once again is no need for the Holy Spirit to convict us of sin since we are righteous and righteous people don't sin.

1 John 3:4-6 Everyone who sins breaks the law; in fact, sin is lawlessness. 5 But you know that he appeared so that he might take away our sins. And in him is no sin. 6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him. NIV

Let's look at the above verse, whoever sins breaks the law, we Christians fulfill the law because if you love God and love others you fulfill the law and prophets. God is love and His love abides in us so we love God because He first loved us and His Spirit of love lives and abides in us.

Jesus appeared to take away our sins and He did just that and in Him which we are is no sin. When we are born again we are in Him and in Him is no sin. We don't sin because we keep the law by the Spirit of Love we have from Him.

Our sins were forgiven before we were born so once we are saved they are forgiven, all of them so there are no sins to convict us of.

We are a spirit, our spirit is what is regenerated and made new and righteous, we keep looking at the flesh and not who we really are which is a spirit being who lives in a body (flesh) that sins, I cor 7; and we have a soul, (mind will emotions) It is our spirit being that is righteous and that is who we are.

We are not to be sin conscious either which we are way too much, 
Heb 10:2 2 If it could, would they not have stopped being offered? For the worshipers would have been cleansed once for all, and would no longer have felt guilty for their sins NIV
1 Cor 15:17-18 17 And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins. NIV

Since Jesus is raised from the dead we are no longer in our sin so there is no sin to convict us of.

I hope this helps

For more about grace and along these lines you can visit

www.amazingcharis.blogspot.com

April 23 2014 4 responses Vote Up Share Report

2
Dadchilling Antwione Reese
Based on most of the answers it seems like the Holy Spirit is not different from the Law of Moses, which keeps one sin-conscious. 

Romans 3:20 "Through the law we become conscious of our sin." If the Holy Spirit "convicts," which is a legal term meaning to find guilty, then the Ministry of the Law and Holy Spirit are the same? 

But, Hebrews 8:7 says, "For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second." 

2 Corinthians 3:7-8 but if the ministry of death, written and engraved in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not steadfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away: How shall not the ministration of the Spirit (Holy Spirit) be rather glorious? - The ministry of the Holy Spirit brings righteousness, not sin consciousness. 

2Corinthians 7:10-11 "Godly sorrow brings repentance" Notice it did not say, "conviction." 

Lastly, if the Holy Spirit convicts a born again believer of sins, what do you do with Hebrews 8:12? "For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more."

Hebrews 10:15-17 The Holy Spirit also is a witness to us: for after this he had said before, This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them; And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.

I believe the Holy Spirit reminds the believer of righteousness (the right way) which will cause us to realize where we have fallen short. - We should have godly sorrow, not conviction in reference to guilt.

With all do respect, if the Holy Spirit convicts a believer of sin.....someone is deceived or lying. We must study the Ministry of the Holy Spirit by scripture and not based on how we feel when we step out of the Will of God by sinning.

2 Corinthians 3:17 Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

Liberty from the bondage of being sin conscious should be included as well.

March 21 2017 2 responses Vote Up Share Report

1
Mini John Kennedy standing in God's grace and glory, shouting my praise!
Since "the World" and "the Church" are mutually exclusive, by specifying that the Holy Spirit would convict the world of sin, Jesus was also saying that the Holy Spirit would not convict the Church - including anyone who is born-again - of sin. 

I would also like to include in this answer a comment that was made earlier in this thread. It is so good that I would like to "favorite" it, which you can't do to a comment. The comment was made by Linda Rodriquez:

"The scriptures say that the Holy Spirit convicts the world of sin, not the born again believer. If you are born again you have the life and nature of God in your new born again spirit. Your new born again spirit will let you know when you are out of line with God's will and purpose for your life. Once again. The Holy Spirit convicts the world of sin! Not the believer. AMEN"

February 03 2018 1 response Vote Up Share Report