5

How do Christians make their "calling and election" certain?

2 Peter 1:10

ESV - 10 Therefore, brothers, be all the more diligent to make your calling and election sure, for if you practice these qualities you will never fall.

Clarify Share Report Asked April 18 2014 Photo Anthony Clinton

For follow-up discussion and general commentary on the topic. Comments are sorted chronologically.

Mini James Kraft

I believe we will be very surpised at some of the people we thought were not going to heaven, and also some that we thought would be there are not. Only God knows for sure about others, but we can be sure by our faith in Jesus finished work on the cross. My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus blood and righteousness. If His blood sacrifice for my sins is not good enough, then no one can go to heaven. Thank God His grace is sufficient for all my sin. Why He should die for such a worm as I is beyond my understanding.

November 24 2015 Report

Mini Merle Mullet

2 Peter 1:10 "...to make your calling and election sure." This passage must give adherents to John Calvin's theology of election, heart burn. In context, this passage in 2 Peter 1.3-11 gives a list of requirements to "make their calling and election sure" along with the assurance all that is needed is available to those who will believe. Believers have access to the promises contained in God's word, believers have been made partakers of the divine nature, given knowledge and the admonition to act upon the gifts they have received so that we won't be barren or unfruitful. If one is careful in regard to these admonitions, they will never be deceived by Satan's lies, or fall. By implication, if the elect don't do these things their "calling and election" is not sure.

God calls everyone to repentance from sin, for all have sinned (Romans 3.23). God requires that each respond to His call by an act of the will. By doing so each are invited into relationship with God himself. God's call requires a personal response to become effective in an individuals life. While God empowers belief, he ialso requires that respondant take their calling seriously and like the "good steward" invest wisely and not out of fear bury the gift as did the "unfaithful steward." (Matthew 25.25-30, Luke 12.46) We also must guard against becoming indifferent to the blessing as did Esau, who sold his birth right for a bowl of soup disregarding the blessing of God and making it of no value to him

December 09 2016 Report

Login or Sign Up to add your comment.