2

Did Jesus contradict the Law in Matthew 5:21-22?

Matthew 5:21 - 22

ESV - 21 "You have heard that it was said to those of old, 'You shall not murder; and whoever murders will be liable to judgment.' 22 But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, 'You fool!' will be liable to the hell of fire.

For follow-up discussion and general commentary on the topic. Comments are sorted chronologically.

Mini Mary McDonald

Question: Wasn't Jesus angry when He used a whip and overturned tables in the Temple at those buying and selling? Or is this considered righteous indignation at a wrong being done. Isn't that still anger, Jesus had to hate what was happening in the Temple to do what he did, right? What makes it different?
Ex: I love my husband and now know he is emotionally sick, but I get angry and frustrated with his abuse when nothing I do or say is ever good enough and I am punished whenever I say, or don't say, what he expects or likes. Nor does he participate in therapy or do as counseled. Is my anger, frustration, and longing to escape from it a sin?

February 24 2016 Report

Login or Sign Up to add your comment.