1

What is the meaning of "Coram Deo"?

Clarify Share Report Asked December 21 2013 20131114 174154 Aju Thom

1
Stringio Boiketlo Sebate
Ut placeam coram Deo in lumine viventium.

Evening Aju. 

Coram Deo is a Latin phrase whose direct translation varies according to context. In can be used in the following ways:
* "in the presence of God" : from Christian theology which summarizes the idea of Christians living in the presence of, under the authority of God.
* "Before God" or "Before the face of God" or "In Gods sight" : How we stand in a relationship with God, before God’s face, which posture indicates a stance of humility. 

I was trying to find it used in context to help you understand the definitions better. 

Psalms 55:13 

{55:13} Quoniam eripuisti animam meam de morte, et pedes meos de lapsu: ut placeam coram Deo in lumine viventium.
{55:13} For you have rescued my soul from death and my feet from slipping, so that I may be pleasing in the sight of God, in the light of the living.

I hope this helps, I suggest you get the Dictionary of Latin and Greek Theological Terms: Drawn Principally from Protestant Scholastic Theology it's a really great read.

December 21 2013 1 response Vote Up Share Report