2

Can a person who struggles with substance abuse and yet prays still go to heaven?

I have a brother who knows the Bible well. He believes in God, loves him and has accepted him into his life as his Lord and Savior. The problem is, he is heavily addicted to drugs and has been unsuccessful in rehabilitation programs. He prays often and even shares the word with others at times.  Should he meet his demise while under the influence, can he go to heaven?

Clarify Share Report Asked December 10 2013 Mini Anonymous

18
Open uri20160810 20330 vr9fgb Ronald Cernohorsky Child of the Most High
All Christians struggle with sin in a particular area. I myself have struggled with drug addiction and very recently as well. I know that I Am saved, because I have a relationship with Jesus and because he speaks to me.

Even though I still struggle with this sin at times, I keep the Lord close and He continues to deliver me every time I backslide and will continue to do so until I Am totally free.

So yes, if your brother has truly given his life to Jesus, he can be saved and still struggle with addiction to drugs. I have for 8 years. The most important question is, does he have a relationship with Jesus? 

Tell him tor cry out to Him and He will deliver your brother.It's usually when I feel like I Am on the edge of losing my battle with drugs, that my relationship with Jesus becomes most fervent in my life. I become totally dependent upon Him to deliver me, because I know that I Am losing the battle and it will take a miracle to deliver me. Unlike what some denominations may teach, Christians still struggle against sin and will do so until the Lord takes us home. The longer you walk with the Lord, the stronger your armor will become, but most times it does not happen over night. It is totally dependent upon the person and how much they readily submit to Jesus upon being saved.

The most important thing you can do is pray for him and continue to do so. I will pray for him now.......

December 10 2013 6 responses Vote Up Share Report

5
Mini Glenn Harrell Bi-vocational Minister, writer
I hope you will take what Ron says to heart.
He is connected to the truth.

Drugs become a coping mechanism for those who think they have no other means of dealing with pain and fear. Once in the blood stream and brain--it is there with all the present screams and future memories.

I have many drug addict friends who are professing born again believers. They have smoked for years and every attempt at quitting seems to take them further away from hope. Yes, nicotine is a drug just like alcohol and cocaine. It is socially acceptable and legal. 

Alcohol is a drug. Gossiping, overeating, feeling superior to others can become drug-like.

For the addict who becomes God's child through repentance of unbelief---don't obligate God to undo in one day what you did to yourself over many years.

This is what growing in your faith is about. Let's put heaven aside for a moment. The sweet by-and-by is wonderful but the painful now-and -now is what we are really talking about.

1- If you have a son or daughter who is addicted to food or drugs, will you tell them to clean up their act and "practice what they preach"?
2-Will you threaten them with dissowner ship and kick them out of the family if they won't "quit"?
3-Will remaining a part of their family require a particular moral behavior or saying "I'm sorry" over and over?

I didn't think so. Yet, people make becoming and remaining a Christian about moral behavior every day. 
If this is so, then Jesus death was in vain and NO ONE has any hope.

If you became a Christian, was it because you accumulated enough good works for God to say, "Good job ole boy--I will love, accept and save you now?" I didn't think so. 

"Money paid to workers isn't a gift. It is something they earn by working. But you cannot make God accept you because of something you do (or quit doing). God accepts sinners only because they have faith in him." (Romans 4:4)

To answer your question about heaven, you need good bible understanding and belief. You must know how you became a Christian and how you will remain and grow as one. 

It is not about you and what you start or stop. It is about the Lord Jesus coming inside of you, making you a new creature and beginning a new life. (II Corinthians 5:17) This new life is in contradiction to the old. You will know this instinctively and God will equip you for the journey. 

God birthed you into his family, not to "un-birth" you when you misbehave or to beat you down and threaten you with excommunication and abandonment. 
You and I will sin, but unlike our friend who is lost to God, we are no longer obligated to sin. (Romans 8) Learning this truth is very important to growth as his child.

Only those who are dead to sin become free from its bondage.

Just what is God going to do with you and me? We are sinful, yet saved. We are mortal, yet mindful of the great thing he has done for us.

Do not listen to those who believe and act as though their church or good works will assure them heaven and peace on earth. Listen to God's Spirit. "Only those people who are led by God's Spirit 
(John 3:5-8) are his children. God's Spirit doesn't make us slaves who are afraid of him. Instead, we become his children and call him our Father. God's Spirit makes us sure that we are his children. 
(I John 5:9-12) "His Spirit lets us know that together with Christ, we will be given what God has promised." (Romans 8:14-17)

As his child, he expects us to behave. He will correct us, as any loving Father. (Hebrews 12:7-12) Most importantly, this is not to remain his child, but to grow as such.

(Ephesians 2:1-10) 

Going to heaven is not about being good--It is about belonging. "Nothing in all creation can separate us from God's love for us in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans 8:37-39)

Have your brother seek professional counseling, be faithful to his bible reading and stay in rehab until he no longer says, "rehab didn't work for me."
The "bottom" for many is deeper. Getting caught is a true blessing.

December 11 2013 3 responses Vote Up Share Report

5
Data Bruce Lyon Elder: Restoration Fellowship Assembly
A person with substance abuse problems and who also prays to God for relief and help is on the right track. God looks on the heart of anyone who approaches him and acts accordingly.

If anyone come to God with a contrite and humble repentant heart seeking His help in anything He hears and will give more of the power of His spirit to all who ask in a right attitude of mind.

Addiction to anything whether it is drugs, alcohol, sex, money, power are all signs that the sin in us is exercising its control and those who are in such a position are in a condition of bondage.

Thank God, He has provided the means by which we can be free and that He gave His uniquely begotten son in order that we may have life, and walk in newness of life, walk in the spirit and as such overcome the desires of the flesh. 

Amazing grace that saves a wretch like me and gives me the strength to be set free from the bondage of sin, to regard the old man as dead and enables me to walk in newness of life, in resurrection life. That life is available for all who come to the lord Messiah Jesus and desire to live in him according to faith-obedience.

December 11 2013 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

2
Moi2 Ma. Bernadette Lavin AB English graduate, Teacher, Catholic
I believe he still can if at the time he faces death he is able to ask for forgiveness and repent. Only those who are dead have no more chance at forgiveness. But how can one be sincere in accepting Jesus if he can't let go of worldly pleasures? This isn't scripture, but it's a perfect adage that your brother should heed (no offense meant)... "Practice what you preach".

December 10 2013 8 responses Vote Up Share Report

2
Mini Aurel Gheorghe
It's risky business to predict who would be saved and who wouldn't. Only God know heart of men (and women) and can make that determination. Having said that and knowing what the Bible is saying will help me be sure of my own salvation, not others. 

We know that Jesus took upon Himself our sins when He died on the cross. He gave us the robe of righteousness so we can be saved from our sins, not in our sins. He took the punishment for our sins and asked us not to sin anymore. In John 8:1-11, Jesus forgave the women caught in adultery and told her to sin no more. He didn't said go and try the best as you can. We are all sinners and struggle with different forms of sins. Asking for forgiveness and for the Holly Spirit power to overcame our sinful inclinations is a good start. Knowingly and stubbornly engaging in harmful and destructive behavior is being disobedient of God's will. 

Saying that quitting sinful behavior is too hard, or impossible means that we doubt God's power to save us from sin and agreeing that Satan's temptations are stronger than God's saving power. 

Whenever I feel defeated and overwhelmed by my failures, I recite in my head Philippians 4:13.

0
Mini Charles Okra-Gyabaah
I believe when a substance abuse becomes incurable, it becomes a curse. Curses are demonic and it is only Jesus who can remove curses. Any person with such an affliction needs deliverance. Otherwise during the rapture only true believers with the Holy Spirit in them would be caught up in the air with Jesus but not people with spirits that are different from Christ's. 
I had been in such a situation before until I got a total deliverance with TB Joshua. I am free and can now worship Jesus freely. Please visit www.emmanuel.tv

December 12 2013 1 response Vote Up Share Report