0

What does the Bible say about overcoming lust?

3
Most words in the Bible that are translated "lust" mean "a passionate desire." Strong desire can be either good or bad, depending upon the object of that desire and the motive behind it. God create...

0
Mini Shelton Seward
God will be the primary cause of how we "overcome" lust. And it's all a Process He operates

Ezekiel 36:26-27
And I will give you a new heart, and I will put a new spirit within you; and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit within you, AND CAUSE YOU to walk in my statutes and keep mine ordinances, and ye shall do them.

We can not do this on our own. This is all an act of God within us. The most "painful" part being: the "taking away" of the stony and stubborn heart that's in each and every one of us. Then God will "create in us a clean [and new] heart" to shun those lusts (Psalm 51:10)

This "taking away" is a process of "dying to self" and to the flesh. The process of the New, is Christ dwelling within and yes, that involves some suffering

Galatians 2:20
I am CRUCIFIED with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

This is not a one time deal: ITS A DAILY OPERATION. We deny ourselves daily by Christ in us. And it will point back to us being crucified with Christ

1 Corinthians 15:31
I protest, brothers, by my pride in you, which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die every day!

Philippians 2:13
for it is God who works in you both the willing and the working according to [his] good pleasure.

Galatians 5:24
But they that are of the Christ crucify [remember, DAILY] the flesh with the passions and the lusts.

HOW we overcome by God is given as well. It is by the Faith given to us by God. And it this faith that will be tried by fire on a daily basis - it's all about a Process. He said above: "I WILL give you a new heart...I WILL put a new spirit in you, and cause you" --- he WILL: our weakness, is WHEN. Never give up: it's all a process.

Ephesians 2:8
For ye are (BEING) saved by grace, through faith; and this not of yourselves; it is God's gift: ---> ~ this is a process

Romans 12:3
For by the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the MEASURE OF FAITH that God has assigned. ---> God has assigned you a measure of Faith. 

1 John 5:4
For everyone who has been *born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world— our FAITH ---> this "overcoming" of the world, can include Lust, hatred, un-forgiveness etc etc - yet it is accomplished through our Faith. YET, do not neglect the first part of this verse. "BeING Born of God". That involves painful trials which is a process

Hebrews 12:6-7
for whom [the] Lord loves he chastens, and scourges EVERY SON (or Daughter) whom HE RECEIVES. Ye endure for chastening, God conducts himself towards you as towards sons; for who is the son that the father chastens not? ---> this is all for His glory through our Faith (which he gave us, by which, we are being saved)

1 Peter 1:7 ~ NLT
These trials will show that your faith is genuine. It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold—though your faith is far more precious than mere gold. So when your faith remains strong through many trials, it will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed to the whole world.

So all in all: Paul did not say this in vain. PRESS ON. And PRAY

Philippians 3:14
I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

May 15 2014 0 responses Vote Up Share Report