3

Is silent prayer biblical?

22
The Bible may not specifically mention praying silently, but that does not mean it is any less valid than praying out loud. God can hear our thoughts just as easily as He can hear our words (Psalm ...

July 01 2013 1 response Vote Up Share Report

6
Mini Cherie Mitchell
I think talking to God, audibly or silently, is biblical. 

I think praying audibly is a better choice for many other reasons, such as: keeping one's mind from being too distracted; "hearing" the words of faith; being able to pray in agreement with someone (you want to know what you're agreeing with); and so on. Praying the scriptures aloud builds up your faith, too.

Silent prayer has its place. There are situations and places that only lend to a silent prayer. For example, praying in a public setting (other than religious or church), praying while talking to someone, praying when witnessing to an unbeliever, and so on.

One story found in the Bible about a close-to-silent prayer is in the encounter of Hannah with Eli.

"Now Hannah spoke in her heart; only her lips moved, but her voice was not heard. Therefore Eli thought she was drunk."
1 Samuel 1:13-15

Hannah was praying in her heart. However, when she moved her lips and her voice wasn't heard, Eli thought she had been intoxicated.

October 18 2013 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

6
Goodboy Kilian Kean Engineer
I like it that God hears my silent prayers and nobody else can, including the enemy. Praying silently in my mind and spirit allows me to intercede on the behalf of others in the world, our nation, our government leaders and so on without the enemy knowing. I find there are less distractions to my prayers when I do it in my heart and mind where only God hears them. 

In Ephesians 6:18, it is the culminating powerful tool given to us to use in the Armor of God. Romans 8:26-27 says the Spirit interprets our prayers to God according to His will. How awesome is that? When we groan due to the conditions of our world and the rejection of God in peoples lives, it is presented before God according to His will.

October 06 2014 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

0
Mini N S 4th-generation Bible-believing Christian
Nehemiah 2:4-5 strongly suggests that silent prayer was Nehemiah's method of praying in this particular situation: The king asked Nehemiah an important question, and Nehemiah had to answer immediately, so he prayed before answering! No doubt he prayed silently, and very briefly. Probably something like "Help, Lord!" Then he opened his mouth and replied to the king's question.