0

What does it mean that all have sinned?

7
This statement, "all have sinned," is found in Romans 3:23 ("For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God") and in the last clause of Romans 5:12 ("…because all sinned"). Basically, it me...

5
Mini Shantkumar S. Kunjam An Indian, Mennonite Church, Pastor, Administrator, Bishop,
I agree with S. Michael Houdmann, but I would like to add this that when Adam sinned we were all present in Adam as Levi was present in Abraham when he paid the tithe (Hebrews 7:9-10).

More over when we are born we are not freshly created but we are extension of Adam, being born in his image and likeness (Genesis 5:3). So, as long as Adamness is present in us we are sinners, no matter how good we are in the eyes of the world. And the problem is that we cannot erase this Adamness from ourselves.

But the good thing is that Lord Jesus Christ, by His death on the cross and resurrection from the death, provides for each one of us means to put Adamness in our lives to death and to rise with and in Jesus Christ to a new life inheriting everything what Jesus is and has. This is the wonder of salvation.

June 22 2014 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

5
Mini Billy P Eldred
To me, the most important aspect of that verse is its relationship to the verse that states "the wages of sin is death". The very fact that we have all sinned means, that according to God's law, we are all sentenced to die. 

In today's society, if you commit a crime that demands a payment and you cannot make the payment, a lien may be put on your property until that payment is made. The lien stands until you or someone on your behalf makes that payment. 

In the verse about the wages of sin, we each, due to our breaking the law, have a lien placed upon our life that has to be paid. A death is due. Our lives are forfeit. That's were the verse comes in that says "we ALL have sinned". And why it is so important. 

In the example I gave about today's society, if I wanted to help you remove the lien from your property, I could pay the debt for you. But here, you see, I cannot, even if I was willing to die to do so, because I already have the same lien upon my life. Only Someone without sin and who didn't have a lien upon His life could do so. 

There has only been One who was without sin. Of course that was Jesus. It is only through Jesus that your life can be saved. JESUS is THE WAY and there is no other Way. 

The verse you mentioned could very well be the most important verse in the Bible. In order for anyone to come to Jesus, they must understand this principle. No one gets Saved until they realize they need Saving.

November 23 2014 2 responses Vote Up Share Report

1
Optimized 1   afolabi Olusegun Engr. AFOLABI
ROMANS 3:10, As it is written, “There is no one righteous, not even one; is a scriptural text, on Faith and Justification by faith. People believes Christianity is only about being righteous, and this often allows for pretentiousness and makes some to claim the role of a faithful believer. Matthew 23:5, "But they do all their deeds to be noticed by men; for they broaden their phylacteries and lengthen the tassels of their garments." 

Hypocrisy is the contrivance of a false appearance of virtue or goodness, while concealing real character or inclinations, especially with respect to religious and moral beliefs, and in general sense, dissimulation, pretense etc. It is the practice of engaging in the same behavior or activity for which one criticizes another. Isaiah 29:13, "The Lord says, These people come near to me with their mouth, and honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. Their worship of me is based on merely human rules they have been taught.

Righteousness is a behavior that is morally justifiable or right. And is characterized by accepted standards of morality, justice, virtue, or uprightness. The acceptable standard of human righteousness is God’s own perfection in every attribute, every attitude, every behavior, every word, and not compromising any aspects that is bad and of wrong influences. 

Ezekiel 33:12, "Therefore, son of man, say to your people, ‘If someone who is righteous disobeys, that person’s former righteousness will count for nothing. And if someone who is wicked repents, that person’s former wickedness will not bring condemnation. The righteous person who sins will not be allowed to live even though they were formerly righteous".

August 31 2016 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

0
1515012380789778228527 RICK PORTER Chaplain [ Truckers Chapel ]-- Undeserving Child of God
If God didn't demand complete purity and holiness for entrance into a perfect, sinless Heaven, for if Heaven has a sin presence it would be no different than a marred creation, then why does humanity need to be saved from something. That something is Sin or missing God's mark He has established.[ Isaiah 57:15 ]

God is Holy and Pure [ Isaiah 43:15 ] and [ Habakkuk 1:13 ], then He must demand in Justice all who break even one law is as if they have broken all and thus condemned or found guilty.

By nature, we all inherited the first Adam's sin, but Thanks be to God's Grace He became sin that we may be forgiven.[ Romans 5:15-18 ]

May 06 2017 0 responses Vote Up Share Report