1

Where is assurance of eternal life in the Old Testament?

Clarify Share Report Asked November 09 2022 Open uri20150113 27538 1ppwzfm Charles Crabtree

2
Habakkuk 2:4 indicated that the just would live by faith -- a promise that the New Testament connects not just to this temporal life, but to the life to come in passages such as Romans 1:15, Galatians 3:11 and Hebrews 10:38, in the sense of specific faith in Christ's life, death, and resurrection. 

Two Old Testament passages that come readily to mind as examples of this faith were David's confidence that he would once again see the deceased son whom he had had with Bathsheba (2 Samuel 12:23), and Job's statement that even if worms would destroy his body, he would nevertheless see God in his flesh (Job 19:26-28).

November 09 2022 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

2
Mini Shirley H Wife, mother, veteran in the spiritual war we all face!
The concept of eternal life or life everlasting is all through the Old Testament. Let's look...

In Genesis 22 Abraham is to offer his only son as a sacrifice. In verse 5 he says, "Stay here with the donkey, the lad and I will come back to you."

In Exodus 3, Moses encounters the bush that is burning yet not consumed. God says, “I Am the God of your father Abraham, the God of Isaac and of Jacob." Present tense verb!

Deuteronomy 32:3: "There is no God besides Me, I kill and make alive, I wound and heal, nor is there any who can deliver from My Hand."

In 2 Samuel 12:14-29, King David stops weeping when his baby dies. He asks, "Why should I fast, can I bring him back? I shall go to Him, but he shall not return to me!"

Job 14:7-14: "If a man dies, shall he live again?"
Job 19:25,26: “For I know that My Redeemed lives...that in my flesh I will see God."

Psalms 49:15: "But God will redeem my soul from the power of the grave..."
Psalm 133:3: "It is like the dew of Hermon descending upon the mountain of Zion; for there the Lord commanded the blessing - life forevermore"

Isaiah 43:1,2,4: “Thus says the Lord who created you...and formed you..fear not, I have redeemed you...when you pass through the waters, I will be with you, when you walk through fire, you shall not be burned...I have loved you..."

Ezekiel 37:1-14: The story of the dry bones, the revival of the nation of Israel.

Daniel 12:2 and 12:13: "And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake...(notice shall, future), But you go your way till the end; for you shall rest, and arise..."

The book of Jonah.

Micah chapter 4:10: "...you will go to Babylon; there you will be rescued; there the Lord will redeem you."

The Lord is our strength and our Salvation.

November 10 2022 0 responses Vote Up Share Report