1

Why did Paul say he was not sent to baptize people but to preach gospel? Doesn’t preaching the gospel include baptism, too?

1 Corinthians 1:17

ESV - 17 For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with words of eloquent wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.

Clarify Share Report Asked 13 days ago Mini Anonymous

1
I would say that Paul was referring to the fact that, even though he (by his own account) had indeed baptized some individuals, his PRIMARY calling from God was not to baptize, but to preach. I would say that this was in view of his extensive prior religious training as a Pharisee, and was further reinforced by the three years of spiritual instruction that Paul received directly from the Holy Spirit in the desert after his conversion, before going to Jerusalem and meeting with the apostles (Galatians 1:15-18).

The glorified Christ Himself confirmed this in His calling of Ananias of Damascus to go and baptize Paul (after Paul's encounter with Christ on the Damascus road) when He said to Ananias, "This man is My chosen instrument to proclaim My name to the Gentiles and their kings and to the people of Israel."

Even to this day, any Christian can perform a baptism, but Paul's specific qualifications prepared him for a preaching ministry for which he was particularly and uniquely qualified.

13 days ago 0 responses Vote Up Share Report