← Back
0

What is the significance of this fountain? (Zechariah 13:1)

Zechariah 12:10 - 13:1

ESV - 10 And I will pour out on the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem a spirit of grace and pleas for mercy, so that, when they look on me, on him whom they have pierced, they shall mourn for him, as one mourns for an only child, and weep bitterly over him, as one weeps over a firstborn. 11 On that day the mourning in Jerusalem will be as great as the mourning for Hadad-rimmon in the plain of Megiddo.

Clarify Share Report Asked August 27 2021 My picture Jack Gutknecht

2
The fountain mentioned in the cited verse is a prophetic reference to the future shedding of the blood of Christ (caused by the piercing prophesied by Zechariah in the previous chapter, as also noted in John 19:37) and the life-imparting gospel message of forgiveness of sins made possible by it.

This passage also served as the basis for the hymn with the first line "There is a fountain filled with blood" (the official title of which is "Praise for the Fountain Opened") by the hymn writer William Cowper.

August 27 2021 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

2
Mini Shirley H Wife, mother, veteran in the spiritual war we all face!
This fountain is a picture of the grace of God. He is overflowing with love. He will wash away sin by the blood of Jesus that was shed at Calvary. 

When Jesus Christ comes the second time, the believing remnant of Israel will have access to enter into the benefits of the New Covenant. 

Jeremiah 31;31, "Behold, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah---."

See Ezekiel 36:25-38

Romans 11:26, "And so all Israel will be saved (delivered) as it is written: The Deliverer will come out of Zion, and He will turn away ungodliness from Jacob..."

Note that all Israel does not mean every single person. It means that the nation as a whole will be saved. Think of it like this, just as the nation as a whole (but not every individual in it) rejected Christ then, and may be rejecting Christ now.

Praise God that eyes and hearts are opened soon...

August 27 2021 3 responses Vote Up Share Report

2
My picture Jack Gutknecht ABC/DTS graduate, guitar music ministry Baptist church
David had prayed, "Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin" (Psalm 51:2, NIV). Most of the nation of Israel, however, did not want this cleansing from sin, even when Jeremiah had pleaded with his Jewish people, “O Jerusalem, wash your heart from wickedness, that you may be saved” (Jer. 4:14 NKJV),

This fountain's cleansing from sin follows the mourning mentioned in the chapter before this (Zec 12:10). Calvary, now opened for the salvation of all living at the time of the Second Coming, is surely meant by Zc 13:1 and Romans 11:26-27. 

This reference to the fountain opened up…to cleanse them from sin and impurity is anticipatory of the cleansing from sin that lies at the heart of the New Testament gospel message (Rom 10:9-10; Titus 3:5). 

1. There is a fountain filled with blood
drawn from Emmanuel's veins;
and sinners plunged beneath that flood
lose all their guilty stains.
Lose all their guilty stains,
lose all their guilty stains;
and sinners plunged beneath that flood
lose all their guilty stains.

E’er since by faith I saw the stream
Thy flowing wounds supply,
Redeeming love has been my theme, [Eph 1:7]
And shall be till I die:
And shall be till I die,
And shall be till I die;
Redeeming love has been my theme,
And shall be till I die. (Cowper)

August 29 2021 0 responses Vote Up Share Report