0

What is the significance of this "fountain"? (Zechariah 13:1)

Zechariah 13:1 English Standard Version (ESV)
13 “On that day there shall be a fountain opened for the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem, to cleanse them from sin and uncleanness.

Clarify Share Report Asked October 27 2019 Mini Jack Gutknecht

2
In my opinion, the "fountain" mentioned in the passage is a prophetic reference to the blood of Christ, with perhaps specific applicability to the crucified Christ's side being "opened" (through piercing with a spear) (John 19:34), and blood and water flowing out of the opening.

The shedding of Chirst's blood would provide a final atonement for sin for all time, and would do away with the need for the system of ongoing, repeated sacrifices of the blood of animals established by God in the Old Testament for the forgiveness of sin.

October 28 2019 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

0
Mini Jack Gutknecht ABC/DTS graduate, guitar music ministry Baptist church
Isaiah said,	
"Wash yourselves, make yourselves clean; Put away the evil of your doings from before My eyes.” NKJV But did the nation listen? No! Jeremiah pleaded with the same people of Israel,
“	O Jerusalem, wash your heart from wickedness, That you may be saved”, but would they obey? No! But now, things would be different because Israel repented and believed, and God would wash them clean! 

William Cowper based his hymn on Zech 13:1 because it is the sacrifice of Christ that atones for sin. The use of the word, Fountain, in Zechariah 13:1 symbolizes Cleansing from Sin. Jews could cleanse their outward ceremonial uncleanness by washing in water, but for inner cleansing, men’s and women’s sinful hearts can be gotten only by Jesus’ blood (Lev 16:30; 17:11). 

Based on Zechariah 13:1 and dated around 1771, the hymn “There Is a Fountain Filled with Blood” expresses Cowper’s love and gratitude for the Savior’s cleansing blood and power to save—a truth Cowper knew personally.

To summarize, in the Old Testament water was needed for ceremonial cleansing from sin. The New Testament specifies that cleansing is through Christ's blood.

[Zec 13:1] There Is A Fountain Filled With Blood
There is a fountain filled with blood drawn from Emmanuel’s veins;	
And sinners plunged beneath that flood lose all their guilty stains.
Lose all their guilty stains, lose all their guilty stains;

The dying thief rejoiced to see that fountain in his day;
And there have I, though vile as he, washed all my sins away.
Washed all my sins away, washed all my sins away;

E’er since, by faith, I saw the stream Thy flowing wounds supply,
Redeeming love has been my theme, and shall be till I die.
And shall be till I die, and shall be till I die;

Play	

source: Cyberhymnal