0

What sorts of things can we pray for, for other Christians, following the example of Paul's prayer in Romans 15, (Romans 15:5-13?)

Romans 15:5-13

Romans 15:13

ESV - 13 May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.

Clarify (1) Share Report Asked October 04 2020 My picture Jack Gutknecht

2
Based on the elaboration provided in the Discussion section, I would say that we are motivated to act altruistically toward others, as well as to pray for them based on the personal awareness that each Christian should have of the sins that God has forgiven in them based on their faith in Christ. It is that awareness that then allows them to sympathize with the faults and shortcomings of others, and to extend the same forgiveness to those others that God has extended to them, as well as to pray for their success in dealing with those situations. 

The passages that speak most directly to me about this motivation are Luke 11:4 (the petition in the Lord's Prayer that links our forgiveness of others to our own forgiveness by God), as well as Ephesians 4:32.

Similarly, Jesus can sympathize with each of us in our weaknesses because He was tempted just as we have been (although without sin in His case)(Hebrews 4:15).

October 04 2020 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

2
Mini Grant Abbott Child of Father, Follower of Son, Student of Spirit
The apostle Paul prays, "May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you the same attitude of mind toward each other that Christ Jesus had, so that with one mind and one voice you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God."

This was a really important prayer for the church in Rome. When the church was first established it was a mixture of Jews who converted from Judaism to Christianity, and gentiles who converted from various pagan religions to Christianity. The church grew and matured with this blend of people, but then Emperor Claudius expelled all Jews from Rome for about 12 years. Thereafter, the Roman church developed a distinctly gentile culture. When the Emperor changed, the Jews were allowed to return, and the church experienced a major influx of Jewish believers. This created lots of different problems for the church, all based on whether they would accept one another, just as Christ had accepted them. In the entire book of Romans, Paul's letter to the church in Rome, he continually affirms and builds up both the Jews and gentiles to strengthen and unify the church there.

Accept one another as equals:

We need to pray for other Christians and ourselves, that we would accept each other as equals. The bible says there is no Jew or Greek, slave or free, man or woman, we are all one (equal) in Christ Jesus. To that end we need to repent individually and corporately as churches of all bias, prejudice, discrimination and racism based on sex, race, religion, economic status, or any other dividing factor. We need to pray for the heart that welcomes anyone and everyone into the church. Jesus himself welcomed prostitutes and tax collectors, two of the most detestable groups in Jewish society, into his church.

Unify all Christians under the lordship of Jesus:

We need to pray for unity in the church, for the removal of the denominational barriers that separate us. Jesus prayed for this unity in his church: "My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one— I in them and you in me—so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me."

October 05 2020 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

1
My picture Jack Gutknecht ABC/DTS graduate, guitar music ministry Baptist church
Paul supplicates that God would support the Roman church with perseverance, consolation, and solidarity (Ro 15:5-7. He implores that God will fill the Roman church with satisfaction, harmony, and expectation (Ro 15:13).