0

Do I need to mention every sin I commit every day in my prayers when asking God to forgive me?

James 5:16

ESV - 16 Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.

Clarify Share Report Asked June 06 2020 Mini Anonymous

0
Having been raised as a Lutheran, and thus having been exposed to Luther's writings (particularly his Small Catechism), I recall that, in his teaching on confession in that catechism, he gave general examples of common sins that a person might have committed just in the course of daily living, depending on the person's role in life (such as a husband or father, or a wife or mother), and also mentioned unspecified sins that might be especially weighing on an individual (for which the individual would presumably have no difficulty with recollection for purposes of confession).

After that, he stated, "If, however, someone does not find himself burdened with these or greater sins, he should not trouble himself or search for or invent other sins, and thereby make confession a torture. Instead, he should mention one or two that he knows: In particular I confess that I have cursed; I have used improper words; I have neglected this or that, etc. Let that be enough."

I have particularly found his statement that confession is not meant to be a torture to be very helpful for the purpose of focusing on confession as a means of unburdening the soul, receiving God's forgiveness, and restoring fellowship with Him, rather than being intended as an exhausting mental exercise or a form of punishment.

June 07 2020 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

0
Mini Bob Reese Bob. Sometimes failing to apply the truth in action.
If you feel that you may consider the need to do so then, yes, confess those you are aware of. When you pray, revelation will divinely enter you, and the mind of Christ will direct you to enter into meditation on what you may have left undone. Or perhaps were not diligent to be on guard for when the adversary attacks. I'll pray... 

Dear loving and gracious Lord, I, a poor, miserable sinner, confess unto You all my sins and iniquities with which I have ever offended You and justly deserved Your temporal and eternal punishment. But I am heartily sorry for them and sincerely repent of them, and I pray You of Your boundless mercy and for the sake of the holy, innocent, bitter sufferings and death of Your beloved Son, Jesus Christ, to be gracious and merciful to me, a poor, sinful being.

0
My picture Jack Gutknecht ABC/DTS graduate, guitar music ministry Baptist church
I would say that you would need to be specific in the matter of confessing sins that you committed and sins that involved omission of doing something that you should have done. What I mean is this:

Sins of commission (the breaking or transgression of God's laws)
1 John 3:4 "Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law."

Sins of omission

James 4:17 "Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth [it] not, to him it is sin." See also Matthew 23:23 pp Luke 11:42; Matthew 25:45