0

Why prepare a meal "in the presence of … enemies"? (23:5)

5 
You prepare a table before me
    in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
    my cup overflows. (NIV)

Psalms 23:5

ESV - 5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.

Clarify Share Report Asked March 14 2020 My picture Jack Gutknecht

2
I would say that what David was expressing in this verse was both the utter safety of the protection that God was providing to him, and also the bold manner in which God was providing that protection -- to such a degree that it was being manifested and made obvious to David's enemies just as clearly as if God had prepared a feast for David in the immediate view of those who were seeking David's harm, with those foes being completely powerless to do anything to disrupt it. This emphasizes God's complete power and control over the entire situation.

March 14 2020 0 responses Vote Up Share Report