0

What does it mean to have God’s face shine on someone? (Psalm 119:135)

135 Make your face shine on your servant
    and teach me your decrees.--NIV

Psalms 119:135

ESV - 135 Make your face shine upon your servant, and teach me your statutes.

Clarify Share Report Asked March 22 2019 Mini Jack Gutknecht

2
Data Jeannette Shields Mom of three
The New Living Translation (NLT) says, “Look upon me with love; teach me your decrees.” The Amplified version says, “Make your face shine [with pleasure] upon Your servant, And teach me Your statutes,” if these help you to understand.

March 24 2019 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

1
This figure of speech is used in multiple places in the Bible -- most notably (I would say) in the benediction with which Israel's priests were commanded by God to bless the people, as given to Moses in Numbers 6:22-27.

In my opinion, the phrase conveys a sense of favor (in the same way that we speak today of one person's smile "beaming" upon another -- in imitation of the warmth, pleasantness, and beneficial effects (such as promoting the growth of crops) of the beaming of the sun -- being a sign of the first person's great happiness with, and good will toward, the other); and is also intended to indicate God providing a means of illumination to show humanity the spiritual path in which it should walk, so that it will not stray into the darkness, which is used throughout Scripture as a metaphor for evil or lack of spiritual knowledge or enlightenment.