0

Is it considered lust to comment or joke about the attractiveness of a person to whom you're not married?

I was speaking to a friend of mine about a sermon I was watching online and after sharing parts of the teaching that I thought with resonate with her, I went on to say that she should watch the pastor's videos and also that he is really handsome so they're even more fun to watch. Of course, I meant that last part as a joke, but she seemed to be offended. Is the statement that I made considered to be lustful or sinful in any other way? And if so, is it bad to call others handsome if I were actually attracted to them? Or is the attraction itself bad? 

Matthew 5:28

ESV - 28 But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Clarify Share Report Asked January 11 2019 Mini Luna Daniel

0
Not to sound puritanical, but...

While God created men and women to be visually appealing and sexually attractive to each other, He also created a framework (heterosexual marriage) in which those attributes were to be fully expressed. If (as Jesus said in Matthew 5:27-30) merely looking at a member of the opposite sex with lustful intent is equivalent in God's view to the commission of adultery, then it surely seems to me that making open comments expressing a similar orientation or attitude would be equally inappropriate, no matter how humorously or "innocently" they might be intended. 

In considering such remarks, I find it personally helpful to ask myself whether I can picture Jesus Himself making the same comment. If I cannot, then it is best to resist the urge to speak it. It also seems to me that there is always a way to express such opinions in words or tones that do not convey even a hint of such a context. And, with time and practice, the individual's thought life will also begin to exhibit a similar restraint.

January 17 2019 0 responses Vote Up Share Report