3

What does the Bible say about keeping secrets?

For follow-up discussion and general commentary on the topic. Comments are sorted chronologically.

Mini Ben Zickefoose

To add an additional thought to Michael Houdmann's answer above:

Jesus taught with parables to keep secrets of the kingdom of God from certain people.

Luke 8:9 His disciples asked him what this parable meant. 10He said, “The knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of God has been given to you, but to others I speak in parables, so that,
“‘though seeing, they may not see;
though hearing, they may not understand.’ NIV

See also: Matthew 13:13 and Mark 4:13.

March 17 2014 Report

Mini Frederic A Parker

In matters of sin there is NO presumption of privacy or confidentiality, in spite of what some professions and churches teach. It seems that expecting someone to keep my sin confidential may be another sin. Please notice the entire paragraph quoted below.

Matthew 18:15-20
If your brother sins, go and show him his fault in private; if he listens to you, you have won your brother. “But if he does not listen to you, take one or two more with you, so that by the mouth of two or three witnesses every fact may be confirmed. If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector. “Truly I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall have been bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven. “Again I say to you, that if two of you agree on earth about anything that they may ask, it shall be done for them by My Father who is in heaven. “For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst.”

August 19 2014 Report

Login or Sign Up to add your comment.