0

What does Romans 7: 8 mean when it says, "For apart from the law sin was dead"?

Romans 7:8

ESV - 8 But sin, seizing an opportunity through the commandment, produced in me all kinds of covetousness. For apart from the law, sin lies dead.

Clarify Share Report Asked October 24 2017 Open uri20160206 16644 1qsvcu0 Everette Tarver

3
In my opinion, what is being said in this verse is that, if there is no standard by which right and wrong can be determined, then nothing can be declared wrong. In other words, if there is no law, then it is impossible to "break" the law by sinning against it. It is when we have a knowledge of what is right and what is wrong that it becomes possible to sin by doing what we know is wrong. And yet (as Paul pointed out) it is the perverse nature of sin that results in a person being tempted to do something that is wrong just as a result of the very fact that he knows that it's wrong.

October 25 2017 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

0
Open uri20141107 4425 yc4vbv JEAN KABUYA Pastor @Breath of Life
Beloved;

This means that where there is no law, there is no sin because only the law determines what is wrong and what is right. People cannot know that their actions are sinful unless the law forbids those actions. 

God's law makes people realizes that they are sinners by nature and doomed to die; sin is the nature of men, is real and it is dangerous.

The Law of Moses fully exposed what was already in man's heart (the nature); that is one of the reasons God gave the Law.

Glory to YHVH for; when we come to the Cross, the Law has no effect on us because of The Blood of Jesus Christ washes our sinful nature away. The Law revealed sin yet offered no help

Galatians 2:20-21King James Version (KJV)

20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

Stay blessed.

January 06 2018 0 responses Vote Up Share Report