0

What does 1 Corinthians 7:5 mean when it says couples should not deprive each other, except for a specific time of prayer?

Do not deprive one another, except perhaps by agreement for a limited time, that you may devote yourselves to prayer; but then come together again, so that Satan may not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.

1 Corinthians 7:5

NKJV - 5 Do not deprive one another except with consent for a time, that you may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again so that Satan does not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.

Clarify Share Report Asked March 19 2017 Mini Phil Calvert

3
In my opinion, this verse is referring to depriving one's marital partner of physical intimacy -- specifically, sexual relations, which, to me, is one of the deepest ways in which a husband and wife can become "one flesh", and where marriage is the only framework approved by God in which this depth of intimacy can occur. 

In cases where one spouse deprives the other of this special intimacy for prolonged periods without the other's consent or agreement, this can lead (as Paul noted) to the deprived spouse being left open to the temptation of seeking sexual fufillment outside of marriage.

March 20 2017 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

3
Data Selva Moses Supporter Director - Singapore InfoComm Technology, servant of God
Happy family is but an earlier Heaven! Sadly the devil has robbed families of joy and peace by offering substitutes. But God desires each family to experience happiness abundantly in every area of its life through physical intimacy as one. 

What you thus owe to each other, do not refuse to pay, unless by mutual consent for a time agreed upon for fasting and prayer. 

Then, regardless of the spiritual blessing either one has received, come together again to defeat Satan.

March 29 2017 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

1
Mini Kelly Yochum
This Scripture is aimed at the married couple, noting "husband and wife". 

Paul speaks that it is better to remain celebut, but if unable, to find a wife/husband so that Satan does not lead you into sins of the flesh; sexual. 
It is both Biblical and consentual, between husband and wife. Neither has more power in this than the other. It is meant to guard against sin. 
Naturally, we took a spouse because we were attracted to them. GOD says marry, not fornicate. 
Paul is telling both husband AND wife here, that our bodies, through marriage, are not solely ours, but equally each other's to guard against lust, covetous, adultery, or any sexual sin. 
Note the last verse I quote; he is not saying it's better to marry unless you or I cannot control the sexual desires of the flesh. 
We can take "a break". Always thinking of the other's needs over our own. Prayer, fasting, etc, but are to come back together lest the evil one "gets a foothold". 

Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman. 

Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband. 
Let the husband render unto the wife due benevolence: and likewise also the wife unto the husband. The wife hath not power of her own body, but the husband: and likewise also the husband hath not power of his own body, but the wife. 

Defraud ye not one the other, except it be with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency. But I speak this by permission, and not of commandment. 

For I would that all men were even as I myself. But every man hath his proper gift of God, one after this manner, and another after that. 

I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I. 

But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.
1 Corinthians 7:1-9 KJV