0

What does the Bible say about art?

10
The first mention of art in the Bible is in Exodus 31. God is instructing Moses to create a tent for the ark of the covenant, and God mentions several artisans whom He has chosen to create "artisti...

July 01 2013 1 response Vote Up Share Report

4
Mini Laura Nelson
I knew how to identify with the Creator, my father GOD as a child through art. Now as an adult, the Bible confirms the Creator in creation. His creation and our interpretations of it, can direct us to Him. I am truly blessed to be in a community, rich with artists of many talents. Each one glorifying GOD with their work. I personally believe that we as creations were made to glorify GOD, and because He said,"it is good," we also can respond to beauty and creativity in the same way. PS I will only worship my Creator-I cannot worship His creations or anyone elses;-)

May 24 2014 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

4
Open uri20150816 3767 1tn9rak mark wilkinson retired school teacher and missionary
Ultimately God is the Great Artist and he created us humans in His likeness (Gen 1:27). That includes creativity and the ability to behold beauty. When we see the feathers of a peacock we are seeing the handiwork of the Master Craftsman. And when we behold the stars in the heavens above we witness the works that declare HIs glory (Psa 19:1).

I wonder whether the first mention of art in the Bible is in Genesis 4:22 where we read that Tubal-Cain was the instructor of every craftsman in bronze and iron. His half-brother was Jubal, who was the 'father of all those who play the harp and flute'(v21).

Humans have been given the ability to design and produce fabulous works of art - from magnificent cathedrals to fine porcelain or sparkling jewellery - the list is endless. The Tabernacle/ Temple was but a shadow of heavenly things and the description of the throne room of heaven is quite stunning - almost beyond words (Rev 4:3 etc). 

God's creative activity was not self-indulgent, but intended to share something of his nature with those whom He loves. And if God's workmanship is to point us to His Son and his glory then so should our artistic efforts, whatever they may be.

October 24 2015 0 responses Vote Up Share Report