2

Does God promise to not give us more than we can handle?

14
Scan14 Michael Tinsley Supporter Retired Army veteran. Love my Bible (Jesus) and fishing.
1 Cor 10:13 says God won't allow us to be tempted to _sin beyond what we can bear. He doesn't promise not to _burden us more than we can handle.
Even Paul wrote in 2 Cor 1:8 '...we were burdened excessively, beyond our strength, so that we despaired even of life.' But then he writes in 2 Cor 1:9 that they had the sentence of death within themselves so that they would not trust in themselves but in God who raises the dead.

God sometimes burdens us _more than we can bear to teach us to have total trust in Him and realize we can't handle life on our own. 

Many people get into spiritual trouble or despair because someone taught them God won't overburden them and when He allows it they think think don't have ''enough' faith (as if you can somehow have more or less faith rather than all you'll ever need) or 'secret' sin that disqualifies them and ultimately causes them to despair even more. That is legalism and has no place in Jesus' new covenant of grace.

God will carry us through everything life hands us, even unto death, because He is in control and loves us more than we can ever imagine. And, we are promised resurrection and eternal life afterwards. This time of ours' on Earth is merely the blink of an eye compared to the eternal love and riches which await us in Heaven.

September 07 2013 2 responses Vote Up Share Report

13
First Corinthians 10:13 says, "No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempt...

5
Raccoo Bob Johnson Layperson. Self Educated Theologically - see full bio
God is in control. Whatever situation you are in, He controls. I invite you to find the book "The Serpent of Paradise". Even Satan is in gods control. So if you are in a situation that you never think you'll get through, well, I know from experience that you will. My wife thought she would never be able to deal with her cancer. And she died. But see Isaiah 57:1-2. Even in death God provides. I know this is more of a personal than Biblical answer, but it's what I've experienced. "In this world you WILL have tribulation" is what is promised. We just need to overcome, with His help.

September 07 2013 1 response Vote Up Share Report

4
Bush2 EL Mohel Castorena EL Mohel
Rom 8:28 	 	
And we know that ALL things work together for GOOD to Them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose. 
So even if something bad happens to us He will work it for good.

September 08 2013 1 response Vote Up Share Report

1
Stringio Rhonda Mcpherson Computer Teacher
It may seem you will never get through it but God will help you get through it. Thats what that means.

November 05 2013 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

1
Mini Jim Stevens
There is a difference between the trials we face in life and the temptations to sin. Romans 13:8-14 gives Christians specific instructions and concludes with "Instead, clothe yourselves with the presence of the Lord Jesus Christ. And don't let yourself think about ways to indulge your evil desires. 
James chapter 1 addresses both trials and temptations. Verses 2-4 tell us that trials are an opportunity for great joy because if we meet trials with faith, endurance and maturity will be the result in our lives. Romans 5:3-5 has the same thought and Ro 8:28 has been mentioned by someone previously, assuring us that God causes all things to work together for our good. 
James 1:12-18 tells us where our temptation to sin comes from- "our own desires, which entice us and drag us away." Another bible translation renders verse 15 vividly "When lust has conceived it gives birth to sin...". Tying this verse with Ro 13:14 addresses the question and teaches me a sobering axiom. If we "make provision for our fleshly lusts, those lusts "conceive" which then must "give birth to sin". We simply cannot flirt with sin and expect God to bail us out at the last minute, then blame Him for "allowing us to be tempted beyond our ability...".
Thank God for His promise in 1 Jo 2:1-2 that when we do sin, we have "an advocate who pleads our case before the Father.... and He is the propitiation (the full payment and remedy) for our sins - and not for only our sins but the sins of all the world."

September 03 2017 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

0
Data Brandon Hughes Regular Worker Guy
If I can handle every temptation that comes my way why do I need God? Why do I need a savior if by my own will power I can resist all temptation and never fall into sin?

September 08 2013 3 responses Vote Up Share Report