Job 1:1 - 22
ESV - 1 There was a man in the land of Uz whose name was Job, and that man was blameless and upright, one who feared God and turned away from evil. 2 There were born to him seven sons and three daughters.
For follow-up discussion and general commentary on the topic. Comments are sorted chronologically.
No! Remember that Satan already has some permission when the bible says in Revelations 12, "woe unto the inhabitants of the earth, for the devil is come upon it with great wrath knowing he has a little time". If he should ask God, God will not give him the permission.
✿ The devil is the prince of the air. Every human being is at his disposal. If we think that satan has to get God's permission before he can attack, where is spiritual warfare? (Eph 2:2; 6:12).
✿ Christian life is a warfare from beginning to end. The enemy should neither be underestimated nor overestimated.
➤ God's purpose of allowing spiritual war on human-beings:
1. To develop character and faith in the believer (Jas. 1:12; 1Pet. 1:7-13; 5:8-9 2Pet. 1:4-9 Jude 1:20-24)
2. To keep the believer humble (2Cor. 12:7)
3. To provide a conflict for saints that they may be rewarded through overcoming (1Jn. 2:13; 4:1-6 Rev. 2:7,11,17,26-28; 3:5,12,21)
4. To demonstrate the power of God over the power of Satan (Mk. 16:17-20 2Cor. 4:7-11 Eph. 2:7; 3:10)
5. To use him in afflicting people to bring them to repentance (1Cor. 5:1-6 2Cor. 2:5-11 Job 33:14-30)
6. To purge man of all possibility of falling in the eternal future (Rev. 21)