11

What does the groaning refer to in Romans 8:26?

Could it be the speaking in tongues? 

Romans 8:26

ESV - 26 Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.

Clarify Share Report Asked October 26 2014 Mini Rebekka Paul

18
Eced7a1f c81d 42f4 95ea 9d5719dce241 Singapore Moses Supporter Messenger of God, CEO in IT industry, Astronaut, Scientist
✿ intercede
Greek: huperentungchano (G5241), to apply one's self to intercede for another.

✿ groanings
Greek: stenagmos (G4726), unutterable gushings of the heart. Only here and in Acts 7:34.

✿ It means Holy Spirit Himself makes intercession for the saints (Rom. 8:26).
The Spirit is our Paraclete or Helper on earth and Christ is the Paraclete or Helper in heaven.

✿ He is the Spirit of "Intercession" (Rom 8:26,27). Since we know not what we should pray for as we ought, He is there to help us pray. He is well-pleased when we set aside our selfish motives and wait for His will. We must respect the burdens He specifically places on our hearts to pray for.

October 23 2015 1 response Vote Up Share Report

9
Data Lena Wms Student @Christ Gospel Church, S.S.Teacher, Observer
Dear Rebekka, This is an awesome question that reveals the Holy Spirit praying through a person. Groaning can not be tongues as described in Acts 2:4,6.

The 120 gathered awaiting the promise spoken by Jesus. They began speaking in other languages as the Holy Spirit gave them Power from on High. Devout men from many countries were in Jerusalem to celebrate Pentecost, they heard the disciples of Jesus praising God and worshiping Jesus in THEIR OWN LANGUAGE! The disciples were not learned men, among them were fishermen, tax collectors, shepherds, and a physician. Yet, here they were speaking different languages, praising God. 

So speaking in tongues is totally different than groaning. The Scripture does not record the disciples ' groaning' the languages. No, they were speaking them. 

Today, the Holy Spirit continues to work in the lives of Christians that are willing to yield. While we always have the Holy Spirit around us as Christians, to be filled with the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues is a beautiful gift from God Almighty! 2Tim 3:16,17, Acts 19:2

Then what is groaning? It is a type of strong prayer. In the Greek the word groaning can be traced back to a word meaning to give birth, or travail. 

This might seem rather odd that a Christian would need this type of prayer. However, in Gal 4:19, Paul stated " His children were travailed in birth until they could grow in Christ." 

How much more should we pray for those lost in our world today? How much more should we be praying for little ones in Christ to grow? Praying for their strength in the Lord? As one prays in this manner, the Holy Spirit comes upon you and as you begin to weep, the intensity increases to the point there are no words escaping from you, only groans--deep guttural groans that can not be explained nor stopped. As they decrease the experience leaves you a bit tired but so refreshed in your spirit you can not wait to experience it again!

I pray this has whet your spiritual appetite, that you will take this to Jesus and ask Him to give you this gift. Matt 7:7

Be Blessed
Lena

October 26 2014 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

6
Q jcryle001 JD Abshire
No, I do not think so. Tongues is an intelligible, discernable language that can be reduced to pen and paper. Biblical usage of the word groanings is: not to be uttered, not expressed in words. 

Considering the Biblical usage of each word it is obvious the two are opposites. It would be like saying "There was a deafening silence" or "I learned a lot from his speech even though I didn't understand a word he said".

3
Win 20151110 233044 Keith Bowling I have been a licensed Christian Minister since 1980.
The Bible speaks of tongues and unknown tongues both. As a Christian, it is my understanding that the Holy Spirit lives in and with me. There are times that I don't seem to know how to pray for/about someone. My heart is full and language just won't come. That is when I find that those "groanings" seem to come out as I am praying. Perhaps this might help you.

October 27 2014 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

1
Mini STANLEY S. DRANE
I'm glad you asked. We see in Romans 8:26 (Life Application Bible Notes): Even when you don't know the right words to pray, the Holy Spirit prays with and for you, and God answers.With God helping you pray, you don't need to be afraid to come before him.Ask the Holy Spirit to plead for you,"according to the will of God". Then, when you bring your requests to God, trust that he will always do what is best.

October 28 2017 0 responses Vote Up Share Report