← Back
4

What is the meaning of "Jahovia Nissi"?

Exodus 17:15

ESV - 15 And Moses built an altar and called the name of it, The Lord Is My Banner.

Clarify Share Report Asked October 17 2014 Mini Patty Gillette

8
Data Lena Wms Student @Christ Gospel Church, S.S.Teacher, Observer
Jehovahnissi as found in this Scripture means The LORD is my banner. He is my ensign, my flag. 

This might make more sense if one thinks in terms of an army marching. As they raise their flag, the level of pride, respect, honor, and determination of each man goes up. This is their banner, they will not see it taken by enemy forces. They will not see it disrespected by anyone. 

In the Middle Ages, special honor was given to the man who could take out the banner bearer of the opposing force. Once the banner was down, the men were lost. Here in the United States, our National Anthem cries, "Does our star spangled banner yet wave?" 

As one can see, declaring that the LORD Jehovah is our banner we are saying He is in the midst of every battle, and without Him we are LOST!
Our battles can not be won without the LORD on our side. We can not triumph if the LORD is not for us. But if the LORD be for us, who can be against us? (Rom 8:31)

In the Song of Solomon, the Bride said of the Bridegroom, His banner over me is Love. (Sos. 2:4) 

The banner of Love, since God is Love (1John 4:8), waves over His children. Bless His Holy Name!

Be Blessed
Lena

October 18 2014 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

3
Dsc 0043 Tim Collinson Tim Collinson
Jehovia (or Jehovah) Nissi means "The LORD is my banner" יְהוָה נִסִּי

The context of this can be found in Exodus 17:8-14 where Israel defeats Amalek. While Moses' arms are raised the Israelites are winning, but when his arms start to lower, they are losing. So they put a stone under him so his hands could be raised permanently, resulting in victory for Israel.

Moses builds an altar after being told by the LORD to write a memorial that He (the LORD) would wipe out or blot out the name of Amalek from under heaven. Moses named the altar "The LORD is my banner". If you think of it a banner is carried in victory, the LORD was and is victorious.

1
Mini Hairy Animals
In the Book of Exodus, "Jehovah Nissi" is the name Moses called God at the altar which he built to celebrate the defeat of the Amalekites at Rephidim. According to the NIV version of the Bible, the name is translated as "The Lord Is My Banner."

0
Mini Shirley H. prayer warrior
Jehovah Nissi is found in Exodus 17:15 -Moses then built an altar and named it YAHWEH-Nissi meaning, "Lay hold of YAHWEH' s banner!" YAHWEH will be at war with Amalek generation after generation. New Jerusalem translation. God is our point of unity!