2

What did Jesus mean by "My hour has not yet come"?

"And Jesus said to her, "Woman, what has this to do with me? My hour has not yet come." John 2:4

John 2:1 - 4

ESV - 1 On the third day there was a wedding at Cana in Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there. 2 Jesus also was invited to the wedding with his disciples.

Clarify Share Report Asked August 14 2014 Mini ida Juenger

4
Closeup Jennifer Rothnie Supporter Housewife, Artist, Perpetually Curious
He meant that the hour for him to show Himself as Messiah and king of the Jews had not yet arrived. In a broader view, His hour did not "fully come" until He was crucified (John 7:30, John 19:30, Luke 17:20-21). Though He did do as His mother wished, His hour still had 'not yet come'. After the water-to-wine, He did perform miracles and conversations, but He did not publicly declare Himself as the Messiah. There was a lot of speculation, however, by the people and the authorities (John 7:25-26).

This is further explained in John 7:1-13. 

" But when the Jewish Festival of Tabernacles was near, Jesus’ brothers said to him, “Leave Galilee and go to Judea, so that your disciples there may see the works you do. No one who wants to become a public figure acts in secret. Since you are doing these things, show yourself to the world.” For even his own brothers did not believe in him. Therefore Jesus told them, “My time is not yet here; for you any time will do. The world cannot hate you, but it hates me because I testify that its works are evil."

Jesus' brothers wished Him to publicly announce Himself as the Messiah and prove it with public miracles. [It is very possible that they were teasing or mocking Him, for they did not believe He was the Messiah]. They were saying that if He was the Messiah, He needed to announce it before the whole people and prove it, not just walk around Galilee with His Disciples performing miracles. Jesus did later go up to the Festival, but in private. He taught there, too (John 7:14-15) He was viewed as a wise teacher with the power of God behind Him (John 3:2), but only a few were beginning to understand that He was the Messiah (John 7:40-41).

Jesus had performed several miracles up to this point, some very public (John 2:23-24) - but the question of whether or not He was the Messiah had not been decided by the people. Some, thinking He was, wanted to crown Him king (John 6:14-15). Others, believing His ministry false, wished to kill Him (John 7:1).

The Jews expected Christ to come in glory and set up an earthly kingdom, as He will at His second coming. The kingdom of God, however, is an eternal one that reigns over our hearts (John 18:36-37, Luke 10:9, Luke 11:20, Rom 14:13-18, Mark 10:15, Mark 12:28) and Christ revealed its coming by His death and Resurrection (Daniel 2:31-35).

When His hour 'fully came', He was acknowledged as king of the Jews and put to death (John 19:21). 

" Enough! The hour has come. Look, the Son of Man is delivered into the hands of sinners". (Mark 14:41)

"Later, knowing that everything had now been finished, and so that Scripture would be fulfilled, Jesus said, “I am thirsty.” A jar of wine vinegar was there, so they soaked a sponge in it, put the sponge on a stalk of the hyssop plant, and lifted it to Jesus’ lips. When he had received the drink, Jesus said, “It is finished.” With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit." (John 19:28-30)

The signs accompanying, including the Resurrection, finally proved Him as the Messiah to many who had doubted. (Matt 2:54).

After His Resurrection, He announced "“All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”" (Matt 28:18-20)

This is the very public announcement of His authority and kingdom that His brothers had wanted Him to make earlier. It is possible that his mother asked Him to perform the miracle of water to wine because she wanted Him to publicly declare Himself as the Messiah, as she knew "He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, and he will reign over Jacob’s descendants forever; his kingdom will never end." (Luke 1:32-33)

August 15 2014 3 responses Vote Up Share Report

1
Mini Billy P Eldred
Jennifer as always gave a great answer. I want to add my personal view that I hope some can relate to. 

I have mentioned in another post the video "The Star of Bethlehem" (which can be seen on youtube). I believe Mr. Larson presents an amazing demonstration of the Majesty of God. When I watched this video, I was amazed at how God chose the exact time of Jesus death on the cross (and of his birth) when the universe was first formed. The heavenly bodies were put in motion so that through mathematics we can view events in the skies at any time in history. 

The events of Jesus life (and death) obviously are the most important things that have ever happened. And this was set in motion from the very beginning of time, whenever that was. The specific timing of these events could not be changed. 

Therefore when Jesus said my "hour" has not yet come, he was referring to the preordained specific timing of God's plan. The Greek word hour, according to Strongs dictionary, literally means "a specific time".

December 03 2015 1 response Vote Up Share Report