8

If God predestines people to be saved, does it mean that he will not save those he has not chosen even if they seek him?

Clarify Share Report Asked June 06 2014 Mini Anonymous

11
Closeup Jennifer Rothnie Supporter Housewife, Artist, Perpetually Curious
Predestination (as per the Biblical definition) means to set boundaries/limits/horizons upon something before hand. The greek word (in Rom 8:29-30) is proorizó, which is from pró ("before") and horízō ("establish boundaries, limits"). Horízō is where we get the english term horizon.

The fact that God established rules and limits before time began is quite Biblical in regards to the physical universe, the path of salvation, the judgement for sin, the flow of history, etc. (Prov 8:22-31, Job 38:4-41, Psalm 136:1-9, Hab 2:2-3, Rom 9:16-18, Rev 17:16-18, Jer 51; Job 42:1, Prov 16:9, Isa 30:27-33, Isa 45:13, Jude 1:5-7, John 3:18, Mark 16:16, John 1:12, Psalm 1:1-6, II Thess 1:3-10, II Peter 2:1-22)

In regards to salvation: God set up the plan/rules/covenant of salvation before time began, that we could be adopted as sons and justified through Christ. (Rom 8:18-30, Acts 4:23-31, I Peter 1:10-12, Titus 1:1-3, John 10:9, John 14:6, Rom 1:1-3, I Tim 1:5-6, Psalm 11:2-9, Heb 6:13-20, I John 3:1-10, Dan 2:44, Eph 3:7-11, II Tim 2:1-13, etc). Unlike with nature, which God can supersede, God has bound Himself to this plan due to His own character and justice.

This plan of salvation God also predestined to include the gentiles, not just the Jews (Eph 3:2-6, Rom 3:21-31, Rom 9:1-26, Rom 15:5-13, John 1:11-13, Isa 45:9-10, etc.) 

So, when scripture speaks of predestination, there is nothing inherent in the term that would make it align with English concepts of destiny. No one is 'forced' to respond to the gospel in faith or 'prohibited' from responding; no one is 'fated' to choose Christ or not.

Rather, we are predestined according to the plan [of salvation], which was created because God works out everything in accordance to His will, so that all who put their hope in Christ will be saved! We then are included in Christ because we heard the message of truth [the plan of salvation] and believed. Then, God sealed us with the Holy Spirit as a down payment of our future inheritance of eternal life! (Eph 1:11-14)

We didn't chose the way of salvation (God did), nor did we chose our own gifts or ministries (God did). We are, however, to have faith and follow (John 15:16, John 12:25-26).

For an analogy of how the Greek term proorizó, to set limits beforehand, differs from the concept of 'destiny', here is an analogy:

Ten people live on a tiny island with no apparent way off. A man comes and tells them their island is sinking and offers them free passage on his personal jet. Five of the islanders stay, refusing to believe the island is sinking. Three believe the island is sinking, but don't take the man's offer because they think they can find another way off. Two take the man's offer and escape - the rest drown.

'Destiny' would say the eight were fated to drown while the two were fated to be saved. Predestination, as per scripture, would hold that the way of salvation was predestined before hand (the man, free passage, airplane) and that the physics of the ocean/island/plane were pre-set.

The theory that God arbitrarily pre-chose certain people to be saved and certain people not to be saved does not seem to be biblical, as scripture states clearly that in no way has God purposed some not to be saved, as He desires that all be saved, and consistently calls men to repentance and faith. (I Tim 2:3-4, II Pet 3:9, Ezek 18:32-33, Ezek 33:11, John 3:16-17, Isa 30:15-18, II Chron 7:11-22, Rom 11:25-27, Rev 2:4-5, Mark 6:11-13, Acts 3:18-20, Rom 11:13-15, Rom 2:3-5, etc) As He did appoint the plan of salvation before time, it would be counter-intuitive that He would act by a different set of rules (Isa 45:18-25, John 14:6, John 1:1-18). God does know the end from the beginning, however, and as such those who do not believe stand condemned, as is the eternal destiny appointed for all those who refuse to believe (John 3:18, Psalm 73:1-28, Phil 3:17-21, Psalm 49:1-20, Rom 2:1-11, I Pet 2:7-9)

October 03 2016 3 responses Vote Up Share Report

5
Q jcryle001 JD Abshire
If you will bear with me I believe it would be helpful to look up definitions to the words in question. Then show the passages in which they’re used. The words predestinate/predestinated only appear in the New Testament of the KJV. According to Strong’s Concordance the verb predestinate is from the Greek proorizō meaning: to limit in advance, i.e. (figuratively) predetermine:—determine before, ordain, predestinate. Outline of Biblical usage is: 1.to predetermine, decide beforehand 2.In the NT of God decreeing from eternity. 3. to foreordain, appoint beforehand.

Acts 4:28 “For to do whatsoever thy hand and thy counsel determined before to be done.” 
Romans 8:29 “For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate……..” 
Romans 8:30 “Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called:……..” 
1 Corinthians 2:7 ”….. which God ordained before the world unto our glory:” 
Ephesians 1:5 “Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,”
Ephesians 1:11” In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:”
In my opinion the above passages are clear that God does in fact choose. He does so in and of himself and without outside influence. 

In answer the second part of your question, please consider the following passages. Paul’s following statement is concerning both Jew and Gentile. He declares the whole world is guilty before God. “As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.” (Romans 3:10-11) 
In 1 Corinthians 2:14 he tells us why unbelievers do not understand neither do they seek God: “But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.” 

Strong’s concordance defines “natural” in this context as: having the nature and characteristics of the breath; the principal of animal life, which men have in common with the brutes; the sensuous nature with its subjection to appetite and passion. I don’t believe I’m out of line by saying a natural man is totally devoid of spiritual life, unsaved, lost and unregenerate.

Our Lord stated in John 6:37 “All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.” In V.39: “And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.” In V.44 He said: “No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.”

In Christ’s great intercessory prayer we read: “I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word. (John 17:6) “I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine.” (John 17:9) “While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.” (John 17:12)

I believe scripture clearly reveals that God has made choice, chosen, elected, ordained and will effectually draw and redeem those he has chosen and not lose a single one. I also believe that it is impossible for unregenerate mankind to seek God aside from the Holy Spirit opening the spiritually blind eyes, enabling the individual to realize his condition. Salvation is then the easy part for one genuinely convicted. Christ becomes the only option, choice, the only one who can save us from sin, death and hell.

October 04 2016 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

2
Open uri20140203 16647 1ofbks8 Rosemary Nord
I have many questions about what the idea of "pre-destiny" is. If God does truly predestine who will accept Him and who will not, I praise Him for being chosen as one who does Love Him! I believe that our Heavenly Father knows the heart of everyone who truly seeks Him and He does not reject anyone who truly acknowledges Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. Maybe it is that if He does predestine who will open the door for Him, and who will not, that those people never will.

October 03 2016 1 response Vote Up Share Report