0

What should we learn from the symbolism of the potter and clay in the Bible?

Clarify Share Report Asked April 23 2014 Mini Anonymous (via GotQuestions)

0
The Bible uses symbolism to deepen the message God has for His people. One such symbol is that of potter and clay. The most detailed example is found in Jeremiah 18. God instructed the prophet Jere...

April 23 2014 1 response Vote Up Share Report

0
Mini Jack Gutknecht ABC/DTS graduate, guitar music ministry Baptist church
With further research, I see that my Ryrie Study Bible has:
18:1-11 This parable of the potter teaches the absolute sovereignty of God over NATIONS, not capriciously, but with sensitivity to the possibility of their repenting (v. 8). [Ryrie SB] 

Jeremiah 18
An Object Lesson from the Making of Pottery
18:1 The Lord said to Jeremiah: 18:2 “Go down at once to the potter’s house. I will speak to you further there.” 18:3 So I went down to the potter’s house and found him working at his wheel. 18:4 Now and then there would be something wrong with the pot he was molding from the clay with his hands. So he would rework the clay into another kind of pot as he saw fit. 

18:5 Then the Lord said to me, 18:6 “I, the Lord, say: ‘O NATION of Israel, can I not deal with you as this potter deals with the clay? In my hands, you, O NATION of Israel, are just like the clay in this potter’s hand.’ 18:7 There are times, Jeremiah, when I threaten to uproot, tear down, and destroy a NATION or kingdom. 18:8 But if that NATION I threatened stops doing wrong, I will cancel the destruction I intended to do to it. 18:9 And there are times when I promise to build up and establish a NATION or kingdom. 18:10 But if that NATION does what displeases me and does not obey me, then I will cancel the good I promised to do to it. 18:11 So now, tell the people of Judah and the citizens of Jerusalem this: The Lord says, ‘I am preparing to bring disaster on you! I am making plans to punish you. So, every one of you, stop the evil things you have been doing. Correct the way you have been living and do what is right.’

Note especially verse 8. (18:8 But if that NATION I threatened stops doing wrong, I will cancel the destruction I intended to do to it.)

Also, "If a NATION or kingdom spurned the one true God, then God would decree what? That NATION be rooted out, and pulled down, destroyed, and thrown down." 
(Jeremiah 18:7-10; 
Jeremiah 1:10).

January 26 2019 0 responses Vote Up Share Report