4

How are we, in the context of 1 Corinthians 1:10, to agree with one another about anything when we can't even agree the accurate meaning of scripture?

In 1 Cor 1 v10, Paul appeals to the Corinthians 'to agree with one another so that there may be no divisions among you.' In the worldwide church today, and even in my church, there are multiple divisions about many things covering both doctrine and practice. As human beings we are fallible and fortunately we do not simply accept what others demand of us or teach. In the light of this reality how are we to apply Paul's word to our disagreements in 2014? 

1 Corinthians 1:10

ESV - 10 I appeal to you, brothers, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be united in the same mind and the same judgment.

Clarify Share Report Asked January 13 2014 Mini Tony Varey

7
Seth3 Seth Freeman
I think that's a great question. I think it shows simultaneously both the strength and weakness of the Protestant branch of Christianity. Of the three branches, Protestants are really the only ones that suffer from this problem on a large scale.

The good news is that all the primary Protestant branches typically agree on the core, foundational beliefs of Christianity. For an example, see the statement of faith on this website. It's specific enough to show the exclusivity of Christianity, and yet broad enough that we should all be able to agree with it.

The role of the Holy Spirit is not to provide us with answers to every theological question we can come up with. The role of the Holy Spirit is to point us towards Christ. While studying theology is good and healthy, when we major on the minors so to speak, we will always find friction. I think the issue is that Protestants find themselves more often than not, focusing on the friction as opposed to focusing on the Gospel. 

We will never all agree on the secondary, non-essential for Salvation doctrines, and honestly that's OK. None of us have the corner on Truth, and that's OK. What is important is the Gospel. What is important that we continue to remained unified in the Gospel. And the Gospel is Christ.

January 14 2014 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

5
Stringio Phillip Ramirez Actor-Musician-Bible Student
As a person who has looked into many different religions, and many different versions of Christianity, my experience has been that the divisions arise more because of personal beliefs about scripture rather than interpretation of scripture. Here is an example that is sure to spark conversation, due to ones personal beliefs...

Jesus stated very simply and very plainly "The father is greater than I am." (John 14:28). This scripture, in harmony with Jesus' many prayers and statements throughout his ministry, indicate that Jesus is subservient to... or "less than"... his Heavenly Father (John 4:23; 1 Cor. 15:28).

I can almost hear the furious tapping of keyboards and tablets as I continue...

Note, however, that I have supplied two scriptures from Jesus himself, with one supporting scripture from the apostle Paul, an authority on the Mosaic Law. Honestly, as the Son of the Living God, only one scripture from Jesus is necessary. However... and this is the scripture most will turn to... Many people quote Jesus' words at John 10:30 as Jesus saying that he is co-equal and co-eternal with his Father, and NOT "less than." However, is that truly the case? To find out, let us complete Jesus' scriptural thought by turning to John 17:22, 23.

Here Jesus completes his spiritual thought at John 10:30 by stating that he and his father being "one" simply means one in purpose and in thought... praying so that his disciples "... may be one as we are one--I in them and you in me--so that they may be brought to complete unity."

Again, I have shared no doctrinal thought, only scripture, for by itself "... scripture will interpret scripture." I'm sure, however, there may be several posts that will say otherwise. For ANY church teaching or belief, strip away the veneer of church and doctrine, read the FULL scriptural account (with cross-references and original language dictionaries, if possible) and see which is the accurate understanding. We might all be surprised at what we come away with... some scriptural teachings will be made crystal clear, others may shake the pillars of our beliefs.

Bottom line? Does our form of worship harmonize with what we know of God's personality and Jesus' living example? Or does it more reflect human philosophy and cultural liberalism? Our response to these questions may reveal the true source of any divisions that may arise.

January 13 2014 6 responses Vote Up Share Report

4
Stringio David Sutton
My thinking is arguing scriptures is like looking at the American flag and arguing how many stripes that's on it. 
I don't think the scripture is at all something we can argue. The thing that's argued is man trying to change the word to fit the doctrines through the world. 
If we would only take it for what it says in in entirety then all division would end. 
The bible has not changed from the beginning. Man has tried to come up with new ways to cause people to loose there souls. 
The devil is a smart being, we must never forget that. 
He will put just enough Jesus in a religion to sway people away. 
If the word is read and followed its as simple as it get.

January 15 2014 3 responses Vote Up Share Report