11

Did Jesus mean that we should never refer to our earthly father as 'father' (Matthew 23:9)? Is it wrong for Catholics to refer to their priests as 'father'?

Matthew 23:9

ESV - 9 And call no man your father on earth, for you have one Father, who is in heaven.

For follow-up discussion and general commentary on the topic. Comments are sorted chronologically.

Mini Pam Johnson

Yes, it is absolutely wrong for anyone to call a man of God "Father". Jesus was very clear! We have only one Father and that is our Father in heaven. And there is absolutely no one on earth that deserves stealing any of God's glory from Him. God is the creator and sustainer of all things. He is Father.

November 17 2014 Report

Mini juanita Flennory

I agree with every answer so far. The titles Father, Master or rabbi should never be used in reference to any human being over you ruling you, except God himself. To be plain and simple, Jesus dealt with three religions; catholic, Judaism under the mosaic law, and Buddhism. Which to me, God is just reiterating that Jesus is the only way to salvation

If there are any religions that require you to call a human man by these titles, it's a big No No. If the philosophy, principles, or teachings of any religion opposes the word of God, you shouldn't be in it.

The good news and bad news is that, no matter, what every man has a free will to choose life or death. Jesus is the only way to because He is salvation. Jesus specifically states 'I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man cometh to the father but by me' Jn 14:5-6. We need to be sure we are not choosing any religion that does not have Jesus as the primary and only source to the way of salvation.

The Hebrew word for salvation where God says, 'I will show you my salvation' is the word Yeshuwah or Jesus Ps. 91:16 hebrew word Yeshuwah no.3444 in the strongs concordance. and root word 3467 Yasha. Whenever the word salvation is used in the old testament when its not being used as a prepositional object, God himself says 'Yeshuwah' or Jesus is His salvation so there should never be a question as to how to get to God He himself tells us what His salvation is His only begotten Son.

February 11 2015 Report

Mini juanita Flennory

Matt. 17:1-5 On the mountain where Jesus was transfigured, Peter, as usual, puts his foot in his mouth once again. When Moses and Elias appear to Jesus to speak with him, Peter says to Jesus, 'Lord, it is good for us to be here: if thou will, let us make three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias'. While he is still speaking, God himself brings a bright cloud and overshadowed them: and cuts him off in the middle of speaking. God says, this is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him.

This is what God is saying: hear Jesus. Peter tries to put Moses and Elias on the same level as Jesus. Moses represents the Mosaic law and Elias represents the prophets and God says only hear him; not Moses, not Elias, only Jesus. Mtt.11:13, Lk. 16:16, Lk. 24:44 and Lk. 24:27

First off the law and the prophets prophesied until John. After John there is no more to hear, because all the prophets and Moses were trying to convey to us was God's salvation. Every word pointed to Jesus and the finished work He accomplished. This is the person who they were talking about, every word spoken, was about Jesus, because the whole book was written about Him. Jesus said 'I come in the volume of the book for it is written of me'. Ps. 40:7; Heb. 10:7. This is the finish work Yeshuwah no.3444 in heb. Something saved, i.e.deliverance; hence, aid victory, prosperity: deliverance health, help salvation, saving (health), welfare. In the famous word of God, hear Jesus only. Look up 3467 rt.wd

February 11 2015 Report

Login or Sign Up to add your comment.