10

If Jesus was God, why did He call God "My God?"

For follow-up discussion and general commentary on the topic. Comments are sorted chronologically.

Mini Claudia Waid

Christ Jesus was our Teacher Right? He was teaching us even while upon the Alter of God (the Cross) as He sacrificed His Life for all whom believe John 3:16. He was quoting Ps22:1. He is The Word Made Flesh as it is written in John 1:14. So know this... The Word is Alive! Hope this brings peace and understanding to your heart:)

May 06 2015 Report

Data Rebecca Potou

Yes indeed, he spoke to those who had ears to hear, he didn't just talk for nothing, so in each and every of his words were a lesson, a message, the prophecy.
He was sent to save us, he was on a mission!

May 15 2015 Report

1363773478 Fernando May

Jesus said "My God" because he had a dual nature. He was God and man at the same time. 1 Timothy 3:16 "And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory." John 10:30 " I and my father are one"

Colossians 1:14-18
"In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins: Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: And he is before all things, and by him all things consist. And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence."

This one that created all things is referring to Jesus Christ. Jesus is God! God is One.... Deuteronomy 6:4 "Hear O Israel, The Lord our God is One Lord."

We also have a dual nature, "flesh and spirit", but there is no confusion that we are one person. I urge you to diligently pray and search out the scriptures for your answers. It is a very good question...I hope my comments helped.

May 16 2015 Report

Mini James Bryant

Simple question and a simple answer. If you are talking about your father, what would you call him, my father. If people would let the bible just say what it's saying and mean what it's meaning, it would all make sense. Jesus was the Son of God, not God himself. Did he have powers like his Father? Yes. Did he have qualities and attributes like his Father? Yes. However he was and claims all through the bible to be THE SON OF GOD, NOT GOD. Not one person has ever been able to show me one verse where Jesus is called God. Many have shown me verses that "they say", Jesus is called God, but they are just putting their interpretation on it. It hurts me so bad for people to call Jesus, God. If you do that then you take away all his walking by faith, all his obedience to his Father and all him being about his Fathers will. Stop accepting catholic doctrine as "The doctrine", and study the bible for yourself. If you just let Jesus be what he always CLAIMS and SHOWS, the bible will make perfect sense. God bless

May 16 2015 Report

Data Rebecca Potou

Isn't the Son of God, a God himself?
We are humans, we are man.
But Jesus, he is not from this world, but came to this world to save it.
He is part of the Godhead, God is God, Jesus is God, the Holy Spirit is God.

Take a look at Jesus' name
Isaiah 9:6 - For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

John 1:1 - In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God... 1:14 - And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us.

May 17 2015 Report

Eced7a1f c81d 42f4 95ea 9d5719dce241 Singapore Moses

Jesus being the second person of Trinity God, the reason He called God the father, "My God:

1) To fulfill The Old Testament prophecy of Ps 22:1 and is fulfilled in Mark (Mk 15:34).
2) This was no doubt the hardest part of His sufferings.
3) Having been with the Father from all eternity without the slightest separation, it was hard to be forsaken even for a moment.
4) This was necessary because God could not condone sin even if it were borne by His only begotten Son.
5) This emphasizes the awfulness of sin and that it must be put away if fellowship with God is desired (1 Jn 1:7; eb. 12:14; Tit 2:11-14).

For through Jesus' salvation, God has promised full restoration unto us of dominion over all creation.

October 21 2015 Report

Img 0360 Terry Gillard

Looking through the very complex and deep answers, I'm reminded that the way of Jesus is simple. It will appeal to children, low intelligence, and the (obviously) clever people who have addressed this question.

However, Isaiah 53v8 is appropriate.

This redemption we have entered into is simple: I'm a hell-deserving sinner, with not a scrap to commend me to "Our Father". Jesus dies in my place. If he addressed God as Father, and teaches us to address God as Father, what else do I need.

In the words of a famous meerkat "simplesk!"

August 28 2018 Report

Login or Sign Up to add your comment.