← Back
2

What is the significance of not boiling a goat in the mother's milk?

Exodus 23:19

ESV - 19 The best of the firstfruits of your ground you shall bring into the house of the Lord your God. "You shall not boil a young goat in its mother's milk.

Clarify Share Report Asked December 13 2013 Mini David Killick

1
Mini Shanna Duck "Let a search be made in the royal archives..." Ezra 5:17 NIV
I've always understood that boiling a goat-kid in its mother's milk was a pagan cultic practice which the Israelite people were to avoid. Perhaps forbidding this one action was intended to forbid all the pagan practices during a particular festival. I wish I had a definitive reference for you that I had researched and thought trustworthy, but I believe I've read this from multiple sources.

December 14 2013 1 response Vote Up Share Report