2

Why is a Greek mythological place, Hades, being mentioned in scripture, in both the Old and New Testaments, e.g. Revelation?

Hades - Encyclopedia Mythica
www.pantheon.org › Areas › Mythology › Europe › Greek mythology‎
Mar 3, 1997 - Hades is the lord of the dead and ruler of the nether world, which is referred to as the domain of Hades or, by transference, as Hades alone.

Revelation 1:17 - 18

ESV - 17 When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. But he laid his right hand on me, saying, "Fear not, I am the first and the last. 18 And the living one. I died, and behold I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades.

Clarify Share Report Asked December 05 2013 Imag0495 Lynn Willis

1
Mini W P
The new testament writers wrote in Greek.

The old testament writers wrote in Hebrew.

There are various words in the bible that refer to where Humans go when they die. They are:

* Grave
* Pit
* Hades (Greek - the place where Humans go when they die)
* Sheol (Hebrew - the place where Humans go when they die)

Hades is the direct Greek equivalent of Sheol.

December 05 2013 1 response Vote Up Share Report

0
Stringio Vincent Mercado Supporter Skeptic turned believer, Catholic, father of 3
Sheol, translated as "grave", "pit", or "abode of the dead", is the Jewish underworld, a place of darkness to which all the dead go, both the righteous and the unrighteous. When the scriptures were translated from Hebrew to Greek, this word "Sheol" was translated as "Hades", the equivalent Greek underworld.

December 05 2013 0 responses Vote Up Share Report