0

How does one become a disciple of Jesus today? What does discipleship look like?

Clarify Share Report Asked November 15 2013 Dscf1331 Doug M.

3
Q jcryle001 JD Abshire
First we have to realize we are all guilty before God and LOST. Lost in the New Testament according to Strong's Concordance is the Greek ä-po'l-lü-mē.

Meaning: 
I. to destroy
A. to put out of the way entirely, abolish, put an end to ruin
B. render useless
C. to kill
D. to declare that one must be put to death
E. metaph. To devote or give over to eternal misery in hell
F. to perish, to be lost, ruined, destroyed
II. to destroy
A. to lose

Romans 5:12 "Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:"

Salvation cannot be earned 

Ephesians 2:8-9 "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast." 

Believing that God exists is not sufficient. James 2:19 "Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble."

Christ is the only way. Acts 4:12 "Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved." 

God's requirement: Romans 10:9-10 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation."

Amos 3:3 "Can two walk together, except they be agreed?"

The Lord Jesus stated in John 10:27-30 "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand."

November 16 2013 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

2
1351105009 Chuck Roae
In Mathew 28:19 just before Jesus went back to heaven, He said to the people, "Go and make disciples of all nations baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit and teach them to obey everything I have commanded you and I will be with you till the end of days". 

This is what was taught in the first two hundred years of Christianity. Listen to His Word or listen to what is being taught today. As for me and my house, we will follow The Lord. Chuck Roae

2
Mini Brian Ansell Retired school teacher, now sell homemprovements i
Doug. The original disciples believed in Jesus and followed him and his example. I am a disciple and therefore a Christian because I too use him as my guide. It seems so simple to me. I believe that Jesus set a brilliant example to us all and all we need to do is accept that and follow him.

2
Image Thomas Mathew A retired Scientist
If you follow the teachings of Christ, you will become the disciple of Jesus (John.8:31). If we abide in His Word,we are truly His disciple.

Matt.10:25 says a true disciple should become a teacher Luke 6:40 says disciple should not be above teacher. God does not listen to sinners but any one is a worshipper of God and does his will, God listens to him. (Jn.9:31). He is a truly the disciple. God's word is the truth and the truth will set you free from sin Jn.8:32). 

If you are slave to sin, you are under bondage of slavery. You will set you free from the slavery of sin, if you follow the teachings of Christ,our savior. He has chosen you because the gospel came to you not only in word but also in power.(1Thes.1:4-5)

1
Votc profilepic2 Joe Colling
One word: GRACE. And remember this - Right believing equals right living. Start at Hebrews 8:6. It is the starting point to experiencing God's unmerited favor. Stop trying to live right by your own human efforts, and allow the holy spirit to teach you how to live, speak, and think. Your human behavior does not identify you. Let Yeshua be your example. Let Yeshua be your identity. Remember you are a new creation [if your born again]. You are NOT your body. Recall John 4:7 - As Yeshua is, so are we [right now]. Learn about him. Imitate him. Look away from yourself, and look unto him. Never take your attention away from him. BEHOLD the son of God and you will be like him. Ah'mane!

November 17 2013 2 responses Vote Up Share Report

0
Stringio Danisha Salinas
This is how you become a disciple and how you are saved Acts 2:38 (paraphrased read it) repent and be baptized in the NAME of Jesus and you will receive the GIFT of the Holy Ghost...with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues as the Holy Spirit gives the utterance