1

What is the conclusion of the Book of Ecclesiastes?

I just finish listening and reading Ecclesiastes, and it brought my world down. It made me feel like there is no reason for doing anything or living. I was fine before that. Can it get any sadder?

Ecclesiastes 12:13

ESV - 13 The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man.

Clarify Share Report Asked November 02 2013 Mini Anonymous

8
Open uri20130622 23898 8dsex Kelli Hamann Supporter Pastor's Wife, Mother, Grandmother, Teacher, Writer, Cellist
I agree that the book of Ecclesiastes can be somewhat discouraging. When you read the last verses of the last chapter, they give you the conclusion of the author, who was Solomon, son of David and the third king of Israel:

Ecc. 12: 13-14 The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. For God will bring every deed into judgment, with every secret thing, whether good or evil.

To understand this conclusion better, it helps to remember a few things about Solomon. He was arguably the Bill Gates of his time—rich beyond compare, powerful and influential, well-known way beyond the realm of his kingdom, not only for his wealth, but for his wisdom and influence. There literally was nothing material out of his reach, and he had the world at his command.

But in spite of his wisdom and power, he had a weakness for foreign, ungodly women, who were successful in their efforts to tempt him into joining them in some of their pagan rituals and relaxing God’s commands concerning the laws that God had given the nation of Israel regarding worship.

In the book of Ecclesiastes Solomon laments many of the mistakes that he made and comments on his personal experiences with wealth, influence, women, and what he had also observed in the lives of others who also sought after worldly pleasures. Like so many people who seem—according to the world’s standards—to “have it all,” he found that there is nothing that truly satisfies in this life but to love and serve God. 

This explains what he refers to as “the end of the matter” in Ecc. 12:13. He is letting his readers know that as a man who seemingly had it all, the “all” that so many chase is utterly meaningless, and we’ll do better to spend our best energy seeking to serve and please God rather than pursuing earthly pleasures.

November 03 2013 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

2
Stringio Edward Hum
There is reason for doing and living. Ecc 3:13 says to eat and drink and enjoy our work - this is God's gift to man.

There is reason to enjoy your life. Ecc 9:9 says enjoy life with the woman you love - this is your reward in life...

On the other hand, there is no reason in doing anything pridefully and over-ambitiously for selfish gain. Ecc 2:21says that a man works really hard and leaves his legacy to another who did not labour for it - this is vanity and a great evil.

Think of the great Steve Jobs and what he has brought and left behind for the world, but look at Apple now and the iPhone 5s. Could one say that if Mr. Jobs had taken Solomon's advice that his stress from work would've been less, his personal life could've been better, and his health and life should've prolonged? Only God knows for sure...but we can have faith in His Word and do what it says!

November 02 2013 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

2
Mini Frederick Owusu
Personally I find Ecclesiastes to be incredibly helpful in the journey of life. The reason being, it is like having a person who has done it all and knowing the joys and pitfalls of life, warning and giving me advice about life. On the spiritual level, it is God who speaks to the reader. Although, it is often said that it is depressing, and to some extent I agree, it is a profound book because indeed some aspects of life ARE depressing and sad, and Ecclesiastes comments on them. It also neutralizes many false ideas and goals that many seek in order to attain happiness. Frankly, if I were not a believer, I would find Ecclesiastes to be one of the most depressing reads I ever picked up because it describes the futility of life lived apart from God.

February 15 2014 0 responses Vote Up Share Report