0

Do I need to be baptized again as an adult if I was baptized in a Catholic church as a baby?

I was baptized in a Catholic church as a baby. I am Christian now. But since it didn't mean anything to me as a baby, should I be baptized again?

Clarify Share Report Asked October 29 2013 Mini Anonymous

4
Seth3 Seth Freeman
I find that many Christians who ask this question are typically being pushed by the Holy Spirit to be baptized again. 

It's important to understand and acknowledge that there is NO power in baptism itself. Baptism does not save, for baptism is a work. We are however, commanded to be baptized, and it is a good thing to do. Baptism is an outward profession of an inward faith. It is something that all Christians should do once they accept Christ.

You certainly don't remember your infant baptism, nor had you made a commitment to Christ prior to your infant baptism. I would pray about it. I suspect your posting here may be an indication that the Spirit is indeed calling you to make that outward profession of your inward faith.

October 29 2013 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

1
Stringio Vincent Mercado Supporter Skeptic turned believer, Catholic, father of 3
Baptism makes you a Christian, therefore baptism needs to happen only once. You do not need a second baptism because there is no need to make you a Christian again. 

Just to clarify: A Catholic is a Christian and a Catholic baptism is a valid baptism. You may not remember it because you were a baby that time it happened, but nonetheless, it is meaningful, effective and valid.

October 29 2013 11 responses Vote Up Share Report