1

Do we continue to fast even if we mistakenly ate while fasting?

I was trying to go at least one whole day fasting without eating a thing but drinking only water and nothing else, not even juice. But I forgot I was fasting and I ate something so does that make my fasting invalid?

Clarify Share Report Asked October 23 2013 Chrysanthemum Darius Seals

2
Mini Alison Way
Fasting is all about putting aside our wants and desires, self control, sacrifice. It's telling Jesus that He means more to us than our earthly pleasures. It's important not to get too wrapped up in the details of the fast lest it become a legalistic thing. 

So, you accidentally ate something, drank something you didn't intend to eat or drink while you are fasting. I don't think you need to feel bad about it or stop your fast entirely. You say, "Oops, I'm sorry, Jesus" and go on with your intentions to fast for the remaining time. If you are new at fasting, this may happen more than once during your fast. As it is with many endeavors, the more you fast, the better you will be at remembering not to eat and the more self control you will have.

I would suggest that if you are new at fasting, you should choose a day when you don't have a lot of obligations such as work or school. If you can focus on spending time with Jesus, studying the Bible, and praying as well as resting, you will be less likely to forget that you are fasting.

Jesus isn't watching you and recording every time you slip up on your fast. He's cheering you on and rejoicing over every item of food you forgo because of your love for Him. 

As long as your heart is seeking Jesus during your fast, you will still receive the full benefit of your fast even if you accidentally slip up once or twice.

June 09 2014 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

1
Me! Nece Moore
The way I was brought up, yes it does make your fasting invalid. However, if you continue to fast after eating it still shows respect to the LORD.
Hope this helps :)

October 23 2013 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

1
Closeup Jennifer Rothnie Supporter Housewife, Artist, Perpetually Curious
Since Christian fasting is between you and God, it doesn't invalidate the fast. You are free to determine the particulars, God is more concerned with the heart. There are many different reasons for fasting (Soul searching, realizing our frailty, obedience, repentance, remembering an event, petitioning God, etc).

If you are interested in a more formal structure, there are many different types of fasts:

Strict fasting (no food or drink sunset to sunset - the jews also abstained from bathing/marital relations)

Modified fasts (no food but water allowed, no food but beverages allowed). 

Half-day fasts (sunrise to sunset) [Esther specified that she would fast 'day and night', for example, as half day fasts were common and a full fast was only required certain days of the year (Esther 4:16)]. 

[You can even just skip a meal to pray instead].

Fasting from a particular food or object (no chocolate, no tv, no Starbucks, etc). [This is usually used either to combat an addiction in ones life and refocus on God, or to save money and use the proceeds for charity].

As such, drinking something doesn't make the fast invalid - it still counts as a fast.

June 10 2014 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

0
Imag0495 Lynn Willis Obedient Daughter of the High King of the Universe
I just began exploring fasting as a part of worship for it is mentioned many times in scripture, even though my church doesnt employ it. From my own personal research the reason for fasting is to humble ourselves before the Lord. If you eat when you are fasting, then you have not humbled yourself to God, you have elevated yourself to quench your hunger and miss the point of fasting. We live in the flesh, but need to exalt the spirit. When you can deny the flesh (food) in order to exalt the spirit (God) in you MORE, then you please the Lord MORE. Fasting is a part of humility to me, and a gift we CAN give to God, and one that is requested in prayer of us in scripture so... give it all to God! However, I can be a bit legalistic in my zeal for obedience sometimes, so i would think you should be able to continue your fast as the Lord is the one who knows your heart in this and ALL things!

Before you begin fasting however, do some research about the health effects, especially if you have health issues. Further, if you plan to fast for any extensive period of time, coming off the fast can be devastating to your system and even cause death if you do so improperly. Please look into fasting in great detail before you begin to integrate this into your worship practices. This is a REALLY good Christian webpage about fasting:

http://www.cru.org/training-and-growth/devotional-life/personal-guide-to-fasting/

Blessings in HIM with All Glory to God!