God hates sins. Jesus died on the cross to take our sins, as a sacrifice. This way, we would appear sinless in front of God, and can have eternal life (if we have faith). But if Jesus was God, and the purpose of Jesus death was for us to appear sinless in front of God; does it mean that God died for God?
LS1910 - 16 Car Dieu a tant aimé le monde qu'il a donné son Fils unique, afin que quiconque croit en lui ne périsse point, mais qu'il ait la vie éternelle.
For follow-up discussion and general commentary on the topic. Comments are sorted chronologically.
Although not directly addressing the question I believe the following is totally relevant and shows the significance of our Lord and Savior's last words on the cross "IT IS FINISHED". (John 19:30)
As the apostle Paul sated: "How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him;" (Hebrews 2:3)
The following compilation is accredited to Dr.David Hocking of Hope For Today. http://www.davidhocking.org/
Why Did Christ Die?
1. To do the will of God. John 5:30, Hebrews 10:7-14
2. To save sinners. Luke 19:10, 1 Timothy 1:15
3. To fulfill the law. Matthew 5:17-18, Romans 10:4
4. To redeem those who are under the law. James 2:10, Galatians 3:13; 4:4-5, 1 Peter 1:18
5. Jesus died to demonstrate God’s righteousness. Romans 3:24-26, 2 Corinthians 5:21
6. To demonstrate God’s love (agape). John 3:16, Romans 5:8
7. To bring us to God. Hebrews 2:9-10, 1 Peter 3:18
8. To destroy the devil’s power, the power of death. Hebrews 2:14-15
9. To be a merciful and faithful high priest. Hebrews 2:17-18, Hebrews 4:14-16
10. Christ came to serve and to give His life as a ransom. Matthew 20:28, 1 Timothy 2:5-6
11: He died in order to reconcile us to God. Romans 5:9-11, Colossians 1:20
12. Christ died in order to bear our sins. 1 Peter 2:24, Psalm 103:12
13. He died to take away our sins. John 1:29, 1 John 3:5
14. Christ came to forgive us our sins. Ephesians 1:7, Colossians 1:14,
15. He died to give us eternal life. John 3:14-16, Philippians 2:9