3

What commandments are Jesus referring to in John 14:15?

Does He mean the OT commandments of the ten commandments, that we are to keep, if we love Him?

John 14:15

ESV - 15 If you love me, you will keep my commandments.

Clarify Share Report Asked August 03 2013 Mini Arthur A. Tipon arttipon@att.net

7
Stringio Andrea Spirit www.firstlove4jesus.org
No Jesus was most definitely not referring to the 10 commandment because He has already fulfill those John 15:10 "If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love." Jesus new commandment to us is in John 13:34-35 "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.  By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.” 

Jesus says this because He is Love and if we love each other, not as the world love, but as Jesus loves us then we too fulfill the law through love, think about if you love someone, you'll never want to murder them, you'll never want to covet them because you want to see them happy, etc. Look at this Scripture Romans 13:10 "Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law. To answer your question :D Jesus commandment is "To Love everyone just as He Loves us"

I John 4:8 "He who does not love does not know God, for God is love."

John 15:9 “As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love."

John 15:12 "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you."

August 04 2013 7 responses Vote Up Share Report

5
Mini Albert Perkic
Yes, it does include the ten commandments that Jesus was talking about because in Matt 19:17,18 the rich young ruler asked Jesus about eternal life. Jesus response was ' But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments' 

Which ones? Jesus said ' You shall not murder, You shall not commit adultery, You shall not steal, You shall not bear false witness, Honor your father and your mother and You shall love your neighbor as yourself '. Love is the fulfilling of those commandments. See Matt 22:37-40 

Thats why He told the rich young ruler to sell what he had. He loved his possessions rather than loving God. The first four commandments deal with our relationship to God, and the last six deal with our relationship to mankind. 

1 John 2:3,4 compares knowing God with us keeping His commandments. 

"Brethren, I write no new commandment to you, but an old commandment which you have had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word which you heard from the beginning" 1 John 2:7

When we truly desire to know God we will want to keep His commandments because of our love for Him.

August 04 2013 3 responses Vote Up Share Report

3
Mini Leon Penny Minister, Retired medical practioner. Special interest in
The commandments that Jesus referred to are the strict directives that he gave. One exemplifies from Mark 22.36-40. Here Jesus  responds to a question about the greatest commandment . Jesus reponds , YOU SHALL love the Lord your God with all......... Jesus then adds a second commandment with, YOU SHALL love you neighbor.......... The first two words in each answer indicate a commandment. Matthew 28. 19-20 the word " command" is used literally to command.

August 04 2013 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

0
95 1 Jay Saunders
Jesus gave us two commandments: 1. Love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, soul and body. Meaning: Make your body His temple or dwelling place for the Holy Spirit to dewell in. 2. Love thy neighbor as thyself. Meaning: Treat others the same way you would desire them to treat you or do no harm to your fellow man physically, emotionally, lawfully or spiritually. Be a friend if they will allow you to be one but still do them no harm. There are people out there who will not let you into their world because they're hiding some thing from the world, but do your best and pray if nothing else can be acomplished for them. God will always open a door if it is safe for you to walk through it.

March 06 2016 1 response Vote Up Share Report

0
Mini D. L. Starkey
As always, we need to look at the context. The context is at the last supper. He is speaking to His immediate disciples and within that context He gives to commands. In fact John sums these commandments up again in 1 John 3:23, "And this is His command: to believe in the Name of His Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as He commanded us." The context is also involving His immediate disciples whom He said would do the "same works," as Him and even greater. Of course one of the many works that Jesus performed was raising the dead. And we certainly see on a few recorded occasions, the apostles doing just that. I know that many have guessed at all sorts of answers as to what these commandments are, but we don't need to second-guess. John has already summed them up and told us what they are!

April 24 2018 0 responses Vote Up Share Report