1

How do you win the battle of spirit over the of flesh?

Clarify (1) Share Report Asked July 18 2013 Stringio Helena Jones

6
Open uri20130622 23898 8dsex Kelli Hamann Supporter Pastor's Wife, Mother, Grandmother, Teacher, Writer, Cellist
We have full access to the grace that God has provided for us to walk away from sin and to live a life that pleases Him at the moment we are saved. However, our sin nature still works against us and we need to learn to grow in the Spirit and resist the flesh. Even Paul struggled against his flesh and wrote about his struggle at length in Romans 7:

21 So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22 For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; 23 but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. 24 What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? 

This struggle against the sin nature can be frustrating, but we have this wonderful promise in 11 Cor 10:13, 

"No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it."

Some people confuse temptation with sin itself. Temptation in and of itself is NOT sin; it becomes sin when we entertain temptation to the point of giving into it or when it becomes a distraction that keeps us from functioning. Temptations will always abound, but God will ALWAYS provide the way for us to avoid giving into them. 

There is no "magic formula" for growing your "Spirit Man," but here are some practical suggestions that can help:

1) Develop a love for the Word of God. 1 Peter 2:2 says: "Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation." 

2) Give yourself to the process of renewing your mind according to the scriptures. Romans 12:2 says: "Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will."

3) Develop your love relationship with Jesus. John 14:15 says: "If you love me you will keep my commandments." You can do this in a number of ways, such as spending daily time with God in devotions, giving yourself to prayer, fellowshipping with other believers, and entering into praise and worship. The more we love Jesus, the less we will be tempted to sin.

4) Ask people you know and trust to hold you accountable in areas in which you stumble. Prov. 27:17 says: "Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." James 5:16 says: "Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working."

5) Read spiritual books and devotionals. "The Normal Christian Life" by Watchman Nee is a great classic, as well as "My Utmost for His Highest" by Oswald Chambers. Drawing from the advice of brothers and sisters who have been successful at growing in Christ is very inspirational and helpful. 

You are not alone in your struggle, and victory over the flesh is well within your grasp with the aid of the Holy Spirit and the body of Christ. One of my favorite stories in the Bible is the account of Lazarus being raised from the dead in John 11. We usually just focus on his return to the land of the living, but I have always taken special note of what Jesus commanded the crowd once he came out of the grave:

43 When he had said this, Jesus called in a loud voice, “Lazarus, come out!” 44 The dead man came out, his hands and feet wrapped with strips of linen, and a cloth around his face. Jesus said to them, “Take off the grave clothes and let him go.”

When we are saved, we still have the "wrappings of death" around us. At the moment of salvation we are justified, but the process of sanctification takes time. In verse 44 Jesus told the crowd to unbind Lazarus, because he couldn't do it himself--we need to help each other in the process of sanctification.

2
1340324413 Chris Eleam Chris Eleam
In his letter to the Romans, Paul wrote about a struggle he himself experienced—a conflict between his flesh and his mind. (Read Romans 7:21-23.) Paul was not indulging in self-justification or self-pity, as though he were so heavily laden with sin that he could not help himself. After all, he was a mature, spirit-anointed Christian, chosen to be “an apostle to the nations.” (Rom. 1:1; 11:13) Why, then, did Paul write about his personal struggle?

Paul was honestly acknowledging that on his own, he was incapable of doing God’s will to the extent that he himself desired. The reason? “All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,” he said. (Rom. 3:23) As a descendant of Adam, Paul was subject to the effects of sin on the imperfect flesh. We can relate to him because all of us are imperfect and have to face similar struggles every day. Moreover, there are many distractions that could divert our attention and take us off ‘the cramped road leading into life.’ (Matt. 7:14) However, the situation was not hopeless for Paul, and it is not for us.

Paul wrote: “Who will rescue me . . . ? Thanks to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!” (Rom. 7:24, 25) Then, he addressed those “in union with Christ Jesus”—anointed Christians. (Read Romans 8:1, 2.) By means of his holy spirit, Jehovah adopts them as sons, calling them to be “joint heirs with Christ.” (Rom. 8:14-17) God’s spirit, coupled with their faith in Christ’s ransom sacrifice, enables them to come off victorious in the struggle that Paul described and thus “have no condemnation.” They are set free “from the law of sin and of death.”

While Paul’s remarks were addressed to anointed Christians, what he said about God’s spirit and Christ’s ransom sacrifice can benefit all servants of Jehovah regardless of the hope they entertain. Although Paul was inspired to offer such counsel to anointed Christians, it is vital that all servants of God understand what he wrote and endeavor to benefit from it.
How God “Condemned Sin in the Flesh”

In the 7th chapter of Romans, Paul acknowledged the power of sin on the imperfect flesh. In the 8th chapter, he commented on the power of holy spirit. The apostle explained how God’s spirit can help Christians in their struggle against the power of sin so that they can live in harmony with Jehovah’s will and gain his approval. Paul pointed out that by means of God’s spirit and the ransom sacrifice of his Son, God has accomplished something that the Mosaic Law could not.

1
2013 09 15 08 57 49 546 Dorcas Sitali Miss Dorcas sitali
Galatian 5: 16 this i say walk by the Spirit and you shall not fulfill the desires of the flesh.... so then the question is how do we walk by the Spirit. David declared that your Word is a lamp auto my feet and a light to my path. Galatain 5:18 talks of being led by the Spirit so the Holy Spirit will led us. praying in the Spirit helps a lot as well as personal bible study worship songs also these are all tools that keep our minds on things of God and on God himself.

September 20 2013 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

0
Doktor D W Supporter
When one receives Jesus as Savior one is inhabited by the Holy Spirit. You are now enabled to win the victory over the sinful nature. Don't get in His way by participating in sin.

September 19 2013 0 responses Vote Up Share Report