4

What is the importance of the Lord's supper / Christian Communion?

15
Eced7a1f c81d 42f4 95ea 9d5719dce241 Singapore Moses Supporter Messenger of God, Executive Director in IT industry
The importance of doctrine of the Lord's Supper:

1. It was instituted at the time of the passover meal (Lk. 22:14-20).

2. It is "the Lord's Supper" (1Cor. 11:20), "the communion of the blood of Christ," and "the communion of the body of Christ" (1Cor. 10:16).

3. The elements used were "the fruit of the vine" (grape juice, Mk. 14:25; Lk. 22:18) and "unleavened bread" (Mt. 26:17,26; Mk. 14:12,22; Lk. 22:7,19).

4. The bread was broken, symbolizing the marred and striped body of Christ for our healing (Mt. 26:26; Lk. 22:19; 1Cor. 10:16; 11:24-29 Isa. 52:14; 53:4-5 1Pet. 2:24).

5. The grape juice symbolized the blood of Christ shed for the remission of sins (Mt. 26:28; Mk. 14:24; Lk. 22:20; 1Cor. 10:16; 11:25-29 Eph. 1:7; Col. 1:14,20).

6. Each believer is supposed to partake (Mt. 26:26-27 Mk. 14:22; Lk. 22:17; 1Cor. 10:16-17; 11:28).

7. Thanksgiving and blessings were offered for it (Mt. 26:26-27 Mk. 14:22-23 Lk. 22:17,19; 1Cor. 10:16; 11:24).

8. It is a remembrance of the death of Christ until He comes again (Lk. 22:19; 1Cor. 11:24-26).

9. It can be partaken daily (Acts 2:42,46), weekly (Acts 20:7; 1Cor. 10:17) or as "often" as desired (1Cor. 11:26). Early disciples observed it daily until they began to have weekly meetings, then it was observed every Sunday, according to history and Acts 20:7; 1Cor. 16:2.

10. It will be observed by Christ and all believers in the kingdom of God forever (Mt. 26:29; Mk. 14:25; Lk. 22:18,30).

11. It is an ordinance that should bring unity and love among believers and not division and strife (1Cor. 10:16-17; 11:16-30).

12. It should be partaken in faith and proper examination of self or condemnation, sickness and even death may result (1Cor. 11:17-30).

June 09 2016 1 response Vote Up Share Report

8
A study of the Lord's Supper is a soul-stirring experience because of the depth of meaning it contains. It was during the age-old celebration of the Passover on the eve of His death that Jesus inst...

1
Mini Ben Zickefoose Retired, Kinesiology Dept. ACU, TX & traveling ministry.

Before sharing a comment about the importance of the Lord’s Supper to me, as I appreciate it, I need to explain how I experience it. I am a member of the church of Christ. We partake of the Lord's Supper every first day of the week, Sunday.

With that said, we who attend worship assemblies every week hear a variety of sermons throughout our life time, i.e. sermons about various topics, various Bible texts, etc. But, in addition to those lessons, the message God wants us to hear every first day of the week, Sunday, during the communion service, is: “My Son died for you.”

1 Corinthians 11:26 For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes. NIV

We might hear sermons on a variety of subjects every Sunday, but seven days will not pass that we do not hear God’s message for us proclaimed: “My Son died for you.”

And, for me during the communion service, I also think about the resurrection - our hope - that will occur when He comes again.

October 23 2014 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

0
David goliath victory hg clr Jim Tumlinson One beggar leading others to where the bread is
Communion is a step in covenant making. God made covenant with us through Jesus and after covenant was made there was a covenant meal, here are some notes;

Covenant Meal - bread would be dipped in wine and fed to each other symbolic of the taking of the others life into yourself. 

Luke 22:14-20 (NKJV) 
14 When the hour had come, He sat down, and the twelve apostles with Him. 
15 Then He said to them, "With fervent desire I have desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer; 
16 for I say to you, I will no longer eat of it until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God." 
17 Then He took the cup, and gave thanks, and said, "Take this and divide it among yourselves; 
18 for I say to you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes." 
19 And He took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, "This is My body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me." 
20 Likewise He also took the cup after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in My blood, which is shed for you. 
Exodus 12:1-14 (NKJV) 
1 Now the Lord spoke to Moses and Aaron in the land of Egypt, saying, 
2 "This month shall be your beginning of months; it shall be the first month of the year to you. 
3 Speak to all the congregation of Israel, saying: 'On the tenth day of this month every man shall take for himself a lamb, according to the house of his father, a lamb for a household. 
4 And if the household is too small for the lamb, let him and his neighbor next to his house take it according to the number of the persons; according to each man's need you shall make your count for the lamb. 
5 Your lamb shall be without blemish, a male of the first year. You may take it from the sheep or from the goats. 
6 Now you shall keep it until the fourteenth day of the same month. Then the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel shall kill it at twilight. 
7 And they shall take some of the blood and put it on the two doorposts and on the lintel of the houses where they eat it. 
8 Then they shall eat the flesh on that night; roasted in fire, with unleavened bread and with bitter herbs they shall eat it. 
9 Do not eat it raw, nor boiled at all with water, but roasted in fire--its head with its legs and its entrails. 

10 You shall let none of it remain until morning, and what remains of it until morning you shall burn with fire. 
11 And thus you shall eat it: with a belt on your waist, your sandals on your feet, and your staff in your hand. So you shall eat it in haste. It is the Lord's Passover. 
12 For I will pass through the land of Egypt on that night, and will strike all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and against all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgment: I am the Lord. 
13 Now the blood shall be a sign for you on the houses where you are. And when I see the blood, I will pass over you; and the plague shall not be on you to destroy you when I strike the land of Egypt. 
14 So this day shall be to you a memorial; and you shall keep it as a feast to the Lord throughout your generations. You shall keep it as a feast by an everlasting ordinance. 

The taking of anothers life into yourself is God taking our life into Himself (our life is His Holy Spirit in us, we do nothing but He does it all so we don't mess it up) We take His life into us, we take the Holy Spirit into our spirit and become born again.

When we take communion we celebrated what God did through Jesus on the cross for us and in us. It should be more festive rather than some somber religious practice or protocol. Can you imagine dipping bread into wine or grape juice and putting it into the mouth of your friend or the person next to you in church, wow what an experience. :)

January 04 2014 0 responses Vote Up Share Report